1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to get a programming job with no CS degree

Hi everyone,

I would like to know how to get a programming job with no CS degree. I work in the financial service sector, and have no work experience with programming. I've been teaching myself python for the past year, and enjoy it a lot.

I'm not too picky as to what my first programming job is. I don't mind doing mundane/routine programming tasks.

My questions are

1- Which programming jobs have the lowest barriers to entry?

I've read that front-end web design (html, CSS, javascript) and software testing have low barriers to entry. I've seen many user-experience design jobs that don't require a CS degree either.

Are there other programming jobs/positions that are easier to get into, given that I don't have a CS degree?

I'm assume that jobs with the title "software engineer" are harder to get without a CS degree.

2- What languages are good to learn for someone without a CS degree?

I feel that learning something like Java or C++ might not be a good choice, because a lot of people with CS degrees with have those languages. I feel that something like Ruby or PHP might be a more even playing field, since those aren't taught in school, and most people that code those languages are self taught. Am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks everyone
  3. Contributing User

Hi!

It was discussed several times in this and neighbor threads. As a matter of fact degree in CS gives you not much priority in the eyes of employer. The most significant thing is the industrial experience.

Surely, at some point, when starting, you have no industrial experience to show. You then should create good impression at interview and by test exercises if you will be lucky to have one from your potential employer. Anyway, searching for job for the first time is a bit harder.

Now to your questions.

1. Well, really one of most simple is to seek the position of software tester. However, it would be well to have knowledge of shell commands, hex and binary numeral systems and many other computer and software related basics. Most cool thing for tester is the skills in automated testing, for example experience with Selenium etc.

Web design is not about programming really, but you should understand that good web-designer should have vast knowledge of cool things and good portfolio. There are too many people who "have some knowledge of HTML+JS+CSS" and are able to create simple bad designed web-pages. Such people are not needed, be sure. Good web-designer should be able to create cool and cross-browser designs - and it is not as easy...

Web-programming in PHP have very gentle learning curve, very low entrance barrier. Of course this leads to the existence of multitudes of bad PHP-programmers. And if you are going to be another one bad PHP-programmer, perhaps it would not be easy rivalry.

Java and C++ - yes, they require more efforts at start.

2. As a matter you should learn sufficient number of languages for the branch which you select. For example, if you want to be PHP web-developer, you need:
    HTML+CSS+JS basic knowledge, good knowledge of PHP and sturdy experience with SQL. Under the hood of PHP and SQL you should have experience with several good server-side technologies of course, perhaps few frameworks and database engines would be sufficient.

And of course you should understand that the programming language does not make the programming itself. There are too many people who have some knowledge of languages and technologies but are lame in basic logic reasoning and since so have troubles with implementing functionality in code.
    Last edited by rodiongork; November 18th, 2013 at 03:32 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks a lot rodiongork, that's exactly the answer I was looking for.
  7. No Profile Picture

You could get some hands on experience with the organisation I work for :)

Hi I saw this post, my organisation runs a series of interesting classes that get you building real applications. Then we show you how to deploy it to a live environment so you can show employers....

I am not allowed to post it on here but if you search for 'Supacoderz' you can see it.

Hope this helps. We also have a blog on the site with loads of advice for beginners...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo