1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Programming language to learn?

You guys probably get this question a lot, and I'm not really sure where to post this, but here we go:

I have an engineering background and recently made some hardware that I want to control with my laptop via USB. I want to make some software to control the hardware with a GUI interface. The GUI will not be particularly complex, and I'm looking for a language that's:

(1) extremely easy and quick to learn (i'm not trying to learn hardcore programming here -- just prototype);
    (2) cross-platform (the application must be able to run on both Windows and Mac; I don't care about linux);
    (3) has a free development kit.

My key priorities here are prototyping as rapidly as possible without getting into too much programming nitty gritty and cross-platform support.

I have an in-depth background in PHP, Javascript, HTML, CSS, Visual Basic, a little bit of Java and a little bit of C++.

I was looking into possibly either using Qt and C++, or some language with .NET. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Python or Java might work for you.

Cross-platform USB support might be a little tricky, as Windows and Mac have different APIs for USB access. You would either need to maintain partially separated code-bases or find a USB access library that has both a Windows and a Mac version.

Everything .NET only runs officially on Windows.

Compared to pretty much all other high level languages, I would not classify C++ as easy to use or quick to learn. Cross-platform support is also not as easy compared to languages like Python, which is interpreted, or Java, which runs through a VM.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for your reply. So it sounds like Python is the way to go. And maybe use tkinter to do the GUI?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo