Thread: PSO Mag feeder

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PSO Mag feeder

Hi, I play a game called "Phantasy Star Online" or PSO for short.

I am looking to write an assistant program that plans out how to feed a mag (a protector unit that increases your stats).

Here's a little bit of necessary background before I get to the actual problem.

There are 11 different items that you can "feed" the mag to increase its stats (thus increasing yours), each item affects your stats in different ways.

The stats for the "mag" consist of Def (Defense), Pow (Power), Dex (Dexterity), and Mind (Mind)

Each stat has two numbers associated with it a primary number and a secondary number. The primary number can only go up and never go down, The secondary number can go up or down but only between the range of 0 and 100 when the secondary number reaches 100 it is reset to 0 and the primary number goes up by 1

The way each item affects the "mag" changes when the total of the current primary numbers total 10, 35, 50 then every 5 points there after up to 200 (the maximum level a mag can achieve)

I'm looking for away to have the program pick the best item to feed the mag to increase its current stats to the stats that the user wishes to end up with.

Currently I am calculating a ratio between the 4 stats by first calculating the difference between the final stats and the current stats and turning that into a ratio, and a ratio between the 4 item stat modifiers again using the lowest non 0 modifier (negative numbers are switched to positive for the calculation so that only they end up being negative in the ratio). I do not however know how to pick the item ratio that will best suit the ratio for the goal stats.

Note I am not posting my source code in this post as it would make an extremely long post, as well I am more looking for the logic on how to create this program rather than the code handed to me.

If someone could give me a hand on getting what I have running I would be thankful, or if you can think of a better way to do this it would be much appreciated.

I think I have listed all the info needed but if you need anymore info just let me know.
  3. No Profile Picture

Wow, I read the title "PSO Mag Feeder" and in the back of my mind I was saying "i know he's not talking about PSO". I've been playing PSO as well since it came out on the Dreamcast. But I don't know much about programming but I do know plenty enough about PSO to say that you don't need a program to help you decide what items to feed your mag. Depending on which stat you want to raise, feed it the appropriate item and just watch how the bar moves and decide which is best. Unless your just trying to write a program for the sake of practicing and writing a program and adding a fun twist to it by involving a game you like. If that's the case ignore my post.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Radagascar
    [...] I don't know much about programming but I do know plenty enough about PSO to say that you don't need a program to help you decide what items to feed your mag.
    This is very true, and truth be told I don't need help choosing which items to feed the mag on a feeding by feeding basis. I need help figuring out how to get the program to choose the best item to feed the mag.

Depending on which stat you want to raise, feed it the appropriate item and just watch how the bar moves and decide which is best.
    That is exactly what I want the program to do, except for the feed and then watch. Ultimately I want it to plan out the most efficient way to feed the mag to arrive at the desired stats

Unless your just trying to write a program for the sake of practicing and writing a program and adding a fun twist to it by involving a game you like. If that's the case ignore my post.
    You could say I am writing the program to add a fun twist to the game. There is a Mag Feeder program already in existence but its using the wrong feeding charts and comes up with the wrong numbers and feeding plan. I would like to correct this problem as well as incorporate some additional features

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo