1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Quickbooks Backup Help

I just purchased a new computer and am trying to backup my quickbook files onto a cd to transfer to the new coomputer. When I try to recover the info it gives me a "this is a reading file only". How do I backup my quickbook info onto a cd? Please help.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well....if you are grabbing the info off of the cd than that would be correct. CD's are 'Read Only'.

You would need to do what your are doing but copy the backup from the CD to your Hard drive and then use it. If it still claims read only right click the file >properties and uncheck read-only and then click ok. you should be all set.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by tomwlindaw
    I just purchased a new computer and am trying to backup my quickbook files onto a cd to transfer to the new coomputer. When I try to recover the info it gives me a "this is a reading file only". How do I backup my quickbook info onto a cd? Please help.
    Here is what you need to do.
    Backup the data from your old computer on a flash drive, then open the Quickbook on your new computer, now select open or restore company file from main window.

that will ask you what file you would like to restore then point it to the backup file on your flash drive.

Now it will ask you where to restore this file on your new computer,
    I would suggest that you create a new folder under My Documents by the name QUICKBOOKS DATA FILE and then restore the file in this folder

once re stored you will have all your date. Let me know if you need any further assistance.
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

vmoshah, please stop reviving threads from 10 years ago. Limit your responses to the first page of threads in every forum.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo