1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Scripting Assignment Trouble

Hello guru's of the ever complicated programming/scripting languages!

This is my first post but will not be my last I can see. I am a networking major, but have NEVER been good at programming. For my last assignment in a scripting class, I have an assignment that I need to turn a text file into an Excel file, putting various items in the columns they need to be in. I have to use PowerShell for this and PowerShell alone.

I am at a complete loss. I have been reading books and Googling certain things, but I still may need some help.

Any suggestions at a good starting point? I can post the assignment guidelines if needed?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well, you can post the assignment guidelines since the short description do not look sufficient.

However, you should be prepared that people here would not help if you could not write some code yourself (you may be sure to get tons of jokes and punches, but none will do the whole thing for you). So you'd better get rid of your despair and start reading books on the chosen language, trying to solve exercises or write simpler scripts at first (you know, like printing "Hello world" at first and so on).

At some point you'll be able to start work on your assignment. When struggling with it, you may encounter some problems (though assignment do not look hard) - and then you may feel free to ask some specific question on some specific problem at the forums.

That is shortly how it works.
    CodeAbbey - programming problems for novice coders
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Is your class material not adequate? Shouldn't you already have examples in your notes or lecture materials on how to manipulate text files with powershell?
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo