1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi all;

I am pretty new to the whole programming/web development thing so forgive me if I sound like a total newbie. Here is my dilemma:

I pretty much have a firm grasp on HTML, I know the absolute bare-bones of Javascript, have used CSS for a few things, but somewhere along the way I have run into a virtual brick wall, and that wall is OOP. I fully understand the concept: you have an object, the object has attributes, the object can do stuff. But I have NO idea where to start when it comes to doing any OOP myself.

If anyone has even the slightest suggestion of maybe an online tutorial, books, whatever for the total newbie, it would be greatly appreciated. And if so, what language would you suggest (Java, C++, VB) Something that would be a good start or foundation into programming, please let me know. Is there any hope, or should I just stick with QA.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi

there is no true answer it depends what you are suited for yourself.

I would recomend getting a handel on C++ as it has been described as the Latin of Languages ie if you know C++ you can understand most of the others.

From a web point of view I would recomend CGI scripting using perl - a book that is good:

sams teach yourself CGI programming in a week
    Good luck
  5. Coder

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by servo_17:
    I have NO idea where to start when it comes to doing any OOP myself.

If anyone has even the slightest suggestion of maybe an online tutorial, books, whatever for the total newbie, it would be greatly appreciated.
    [/quote]

I suggest starting with Java, it is 99.9% object orientated so it is excellent for grasping the concepts. To get started I would take a look at this book: It is pretty heavy going but explains everything really well. http://www.eckelobjects.com/javabook.html
  7. No Profile Picture

Hey thanks, I will take all suggestions into consideration. =]
  9. No Profile Picture

Oh one more thing, what about this new C# language? Would it be wortwhile to start working with VB to help get acclimated(sp?) to it, or wait till it comes out, or not even bother with it??? TIA.
  11. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by servo_17:
    Oh one more thing, what about this new C# language? Would it be wortwhile to start working with VB to help get acclimated(sp?) to it, or wait till it comes out, or not even bother with it??? TIA.[/quote]

I have read an article on it and the reviewers opinion is that is very simillar to JAVA.

Learn JAVA (large companies are crying out for JAVA developers in the UK).

Andy J

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo