1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Setting "parent windows" in [vb?]

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated...

I am working with a piece of Software called MapInfo, and using another piece of software called MapBasic which is able to create front ends for some GIS (Geographical Info. Systems) databases.

Now this MapInfo displays the diagrams etc but it links to MS Word/Excel.

The problem i am having is that when the front end runs MS Word is automatically being put "ontop" on MapInfo on the screen.

What i am looking for is any solutions anyone might have as to how to set MapInfo as the "parent" window in this MapBasic code for the front end.

Thanks in advance...

Matt

MapInfo WebSite
    MapBasic Info
  3. junior vice president

Question 3rd way

Hey Matt,

Wow. Too much work involved to get MapInfo Pro v7 (got to register to get username/password for download etc.,) so I can't help much other than to suggest a third approach.

Code:
    Private Sub object_LostFocus()
    object.SetFocus
    End Sub
    You could use VB to launch MapInfo and bring it into focus whenever the focus is changed... ie., object.setfocus other than that, I don'tk now MapBasic at all.

Nao
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the help...will give it a try and let you know if it works.

Matt
  7. No Profile Picture

the role of parents.......

What I feel itís a desire of every parent while going forward they want to provide that environment to which his/her child gets the good education. But some parents is that who donít have much time due to that they donít proper guidance to their children. I like to think of it as an overall way of being as a parent. It is a way of interacting with your family that promotes learning and teaching over correction and coercion. A positive parent looks at a child in terms of their strengths, what they can do (rather than focusing on what they can't) and works to enhance these qualities.
    Positive parents discipline; they don't punish. Here is the difference:
    Punishment is punitive, it seeks to "punish" a bad behavior and in so doing, it places the focus on the negative, undesirable action.
    Discipline on the other hand, can be quite positive. Although we tend to use the terms discipline and punishment interchangeably, they are actually quite different.
    "To discipline means to instruct a person to follow a particular code of conduct or order. In the field of child development, discipline refers to methods of modeling character and of teaching self-control and acceptable behavior, for example, teaching a child to wash her/his hands before meals. Here, washing hands before meals is a particular pattern of behavior, and the child is being disciplined to adopt that pattern." Many of us parent on autopilot (so to speak). We do things the way that our parents did them. Unless something is seriously not working, we don't typically take the time to step back and reevaluate the "why" in our parenting. The problem with punishment though, is that at its core, it is about control. When we punish, we want to control our children and their behavior. The issue is (besides any potential moral objections) that we can never truly have control over anyone. That's right, I'll say it again, we can never have control over anyone, even ourselves. Think about it, if we really had complete control of our own behavior, we would all eat well all of the time, exercise regularly and never slip up and say something that we wish we hadn't.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo