1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I've been teaching myself HTML and I've been doing such a good job that I've been paid to design sites for people. And enough to start my own business. (www.mlpro.com) Not that I'm the best (or close), but I'm working on it. I've had no solution that I couldn't solve until now.

SHOPPING CARTS.

I have a client that wants one. I have a database already made in Access. I don't know PHP, Perl, nor Apache. (I have issues huh) Does anyone know of a solution that I can use and how to empliment it into the my code?

Thanks for ANY help.

Marcus
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

You are going to have to use one Server-side or the other as Javascript is pretty useless for DB work - so unless you want to buy a shopping cart system - or pay someone to set one up - you need to learn another language!

If you have any VB knowledge - then ASP will be a good idea - on the other hand PHP is soooo easy to learn - if your server does/can run it - look at that first, another option is PERL (not good unless you have a good programming background) although I would look at the first 2 first!

If you do a search at http://www.weberdev.com (you need to sign up first - (no spam or anything)) there are a couple of ready to run freeware shopping carts written in PHP - but you will still need to play around with PHP to lever it into your site.
    http://www.hotscripts.com also has carts in ASP and PHP - its a good resource site.

Firstly though you need to see what facilities your Host offers as this may dictate which route you have to go, they will have either ASP or PHP or neither - in which case cgi (PERL) is the only option - shudderrrr.

Regards,

Simon

------------------
    Simon Wheeler
    FirePages -DHTML/PHP/MySQL
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for the tip. As far as what my provider can use, I'm open to use any thing. I am trying to build it and then find a provider that fits the needs of the site. Again thanks. I'm going to try the VB and ASP route, because the client wants ASP. (YUK, would rather try PHP) (I'm going to try both on my system just for a knowlege base)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo