Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Making some site/app to find "easy" professors? [was spammy]

I would like to ask someone to make a program that finds the easiest professors (as in 4-5 stars for "easiness) in the website ratemyprofessors.com in any given field of study that you specify.

I don't know hardly anything about programming. If I started learning programming from today, how long might it take for me to learn how to do that? Also what would be the best way to go about learning it? What language? What resources?

I don't know which category this question would belong to in this forum.
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I changed the thread title from "How to find the easiest professors only on [website]?" because it sounds really spammy. I was on my way to click the metaphorical Ban button but realized this isn't actually spam.

I find the whole idea of trying to game the system deplorable and reprehensible, but that's just me. For how long it would take you to make this, it depends how fast you'd learn. If you were to pay someone, any figure less than a month would be BS.
    Beyond that it depends what you want this thing to do.
  5. Sarcky

If I started learning programming from today, how long might it take for me to learn how to do that?
    Well that depends. If your teacher is "easy" it could take you 10 years. If your teacher is "hard" you can do it in 5-6 months.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. No Profile Picture

"Any figure less than a month would be BS"
    How much money would I have to pay someone for them to make this program/app?

I thought it would be fairly simple though, all the app has to do is find all the professors with 4-5 stars on the "easiness" category, and show a list of them at once, instead of having you to wade through all those professors until you find a few that has the 5 stars. Would this take more than a month to make?

For how long it would take you to make this, it depends how fast you'd learn.
    What would be the best language to make this app in? And what is the best way to learn that programming language?
  9. Sarcky

I would charge $500 to make this site for you, and it would be up to you to host it somewhere.

It would be best to make it in...eh. PHP. Perl. You'll be parsing another website for it, so the spiders would have to be DOM and regex compatible. I'd make it in PHP. Perl would be a good choice too.

Programming is difficult. It's not something you learn to do in a weekend like knitting. It's like drafting or architecture. Buy a beginner's book or sign up for a class.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    I would charge $500 to make this site for you, and it would be up to you to host it somewhere.

It would be best to make it in...eh. PHP. Perl. You'll be parsing another website for it, so the spiders would have to be DOM and regex compatible. I'd make it in PHP. Perl would be a good choice too.

Programming is difficult. It's not something you learn to do in a weekend like knitting. It's like drafting or architecture. Buy a beginner's book or sign up for a class.
    I'm not sure if you understood -- the site already exists so the most of the work is already done for you. All the program has to do is find and collect the names of all those who have a 4-5 star rating for "easiness". The website is ratemyprofessors.com
  13. Sarcky

I did understand, and that's how much I'd charge. But I'm very expensive. That's actually my minimum fee for freelance work.

Post in the hire-a-programmer forum if you really want this, but be more specific about what you need, or you won't get a good final product.

15. No Profile Picture

Well that depends. If your teacher is "easy" it could take you 10 years. If your teacher is "hard" you can do it in 5-6 months.
    Is some free programming teaching websites online not as good as a beginner's book? Also if you try to learn free resources like online sources and free books from library would you do just fine without having teachers?
  17. Sarcky

Many online resources you'll find are very out of date, as will the books in the library. you can work your way through O'Reilly's newest PHP/MySQL book, that's very highly recommended by the users.

It's possible for you to work on your own with a resource like a book and become proficient, especially if you make good use of the forums. A real teacher will show you the RIGHT way to do things, rather than a WORKING way to do things.

19. No Profile Picture

What's the best way to find a real teacher?
  21. Sarcky

Well...there's ratemyprofessor.com

23. No Profile Picture

Well...there's ratemyprofessor.com
    I thought college classes are not very applicable for real life.
  25. Sarcky

Who said that? Is that why you're trying to find the easiest courses?

27. No Profile Picture

Who said that? Is that why you're trying to find the easiest courses?
    From experince and other students and Joel. Yes.
  29. Sarcky

Joel?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo