1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Where shall I start?

I am 12 years old, and have tried a few programming languages. I enjoy it, but have never got to fully learning a language, because I don't know what language to start in.
    I've tried PHP, it seems OK. I enjoyed both web programming and computer programming.
    Can someone suggest a language (not too hard to learn) that I can learn. I want to programme as a career.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Learning to program proficiently takes years, but once you know how to program you can learn new languages in a matter of weeks. It's the basic concepts that are important, the rest is just syntax.

For this reason, when you're learning to program you should pick a language that will allow you to build something that you find to be fun and exciting. You can't just sit down and say, "I'm going to learn X language," you need some personal project to work on that will drive you to expand your knowledge. First pick something you want to program, then figure out what languages you need to do it.

It's still a bit early for you to pick a career, but if you pursue programming in school as you get older you will almost certainly be taught using Java or maybe C/C++. PHP is actually quite similar to both languages in concept and its syntax is strongly related to C (Java has a similar syntax also). PHP is also a relatively easy language to learn, but again, it only makes sense to go this route if you have an interest in building web applications. PHP is not used for desktop applications.

If you are interested in desktop applications I recommend looking into Java.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo