1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Where to Start on Spoken Language Translation Program

Good Day,

My goal is to create a program that takes an input of Tibetan Uchen Script and outputs the Romanized Wylie translation. The research I have done for existing ones didn't turn up much info on what languages were used and how they were programmed.

I did get a clue fro one site that mentioned parsing using Ruby. Upon further research, I came across something called Regexp, that I assume is a function within Ruby.

I am utterly new to programming. The last time I did any programming was in high school in 1985, and it was writing simple For Next Loops in basic. Am I on the right track? Do I need to incorporate other languages? I assume I need to build a database, if so which software to use?

I hope I explained enough and asked the right question, if not, feel free to supplement.

Thank you for your time.

Jeff
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Regexp or Regex is short for regular expression. It's a relatively cross-language format for specifying text patterns, which are generally used to either check whether a particular piece of text matches a pattern, or to modify a piece of text by replacing occurrence of the pattern with some other value.

You could use Ruby, or pretty much any other programming language to do it. All major programming languages support regular expressions if you wanted to go that route.

I don't know enough about the business logic of the program you're trying to write to know whether you can do it with regular expressions or whether a database is necessary. I would guess that you could use regular expressions for it, and that a database would not be necessary.

Comments on this post

• FMFCorpsman agrees : Thank you for your response
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you for your response. I did find another Tibetan translation program that utilizes visual basic and java. I found that they are open source and found it on SourceForge. This program can be used as a web based application or downloaded and used offline, so that probably rules out Ruby I guess.

I guess I can't give you the link to the .bas file at SourceForge because I'm too new. It would've at least shown you what I am striving for on a basic level. I want to be able to reverse it as well. I am trying to translate texts that are written in Tibetan Uchen, which looks like calligraphy, translate that to a Romanized Wylie, which is taking their writing and basically assigning English alphabet to it, then the resulting word is translated into English.

I don't know if this can be done without creating a database because I don't know anything about Visual Basic or Java. What I am doing to prepare, is downloading Unbuntu to a blank partition on my laptop. I have already downloaded JDK for Linux which I believe comes with a compiler. Can you suggest a Visual Basic Application that can be run on Linux or are the all Windows based?

I hope this explains better what I have done and what I a trying to do. I don't know at my knowledge level if I can get more specific than that.

Thank you for your time.

Jeff

I just downloaded Steven S Skiena's The Algorithm Design Manual 2nd in .pdf. It was offered as a download from some university in Canada. I just saved myself $77.00!
    Last edited by FMFCorpsman; May 29th, 2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Added Comment

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo