Thread: starting in PHP

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have just started learning PHP 2 days ago. i have learned all the basics from the PHP Manual provided also by this side.

I wish to master PHP but not sure how. Please advice.
  3. No Profile Picture

The book "Professional PHP Programming" By Wrox is pretty good. Trial and error is the best method to learn.

later
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you very much...i will try to look for the book...but i have one more question.

What are the programs or what can i do with PHP to practice it? Can you please list down a few such as..online order form, emailing...

Please advice.

Thank you very much.
  7. No Profile Picture

Well, los of things. dynamic web pages are the most useful feature. I use it and mysql to to create web pages for a running club. Online catalog, email apps, forums, online store are all possible. That book I mentioned shows and explains code for three or four php projects.

later
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hola cgcg,

I haven't found a practical limit for php yet. I've been using it in place of some simple perl scripts for network admin, database admin, file management, back ups, as well as dynamic pages.

I learned by going to http://www.php.net/projects.php
    and http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/
    getting the applications and installing them, viewing the code, and try to duplicate.
    the Devshed PHP discussion is probably the best IMHO for beginner-intermediate.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thank you very much for the advice...but the problem for me is i don't really have the opportunity to practice it. Is there any way for me to trial and error all the applications?
  13. No Profile Picture

Find yourself an interesting project (or 2!) and start coding. I taught myself PHP by building a web based email system, a slashdot.org style discussion forum, a searchabale database, a web site guest book, and various other little things. All that over the course of about 3 months, and it landed me a good paying job codeing PHP . Think of something would be interested in creating and go at it. Its the only way to learn

------------------
    - theFinn
    http://www.totalgeek.org

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo