1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Just starting out, what would be best to start with?

Very new to this, only started a couple days ago with a couple tutorials on php and javascript and i'm still working with those and testing how it works. But I'm seeing a lot of different code types being mentioned as I go along and see what programming is about, so I thought I should learn where would be a good place to start because eventually I will probably be working with most of these coding types. I wasn't sure where to put this thread so sorry if it's in the wrong spot
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What do you mean "code types"? Languages? Design patterns?

PHP and JavaScript are separate languages. Learn one at a time so you're not confused. Read the new user guide for the PHP forum, there's a link to it directly below this message. It will explain more about the differences between the languages, what language to choose, and common problems you will have when you start PHP.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture

I'm new as well. I've regested here since about a month ago. As I have little time for it, I'm still brand new in this.
  7. Sarcky

rift, read the new user guide as a way to get started. There's a link in my signature to the PHP one, but the tactics in the first half of the guide apply to all languages.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture

I learned the basics of programming with python. Great language to start with. That and html,css. I don't know any languages yet, but the ones mentioned are pretty simple and a good place to start.
  11. No Profile Picture

Would recommend a book called "PHP 5 and Mysql 6 for Dynamic Websites" this book helped me out when I first started and it's got some good examples in it.
  13. No Profile Picture

The hardest part of learning to program is getting the programming mindset. It's not learning the languages, so you want to start off with an easy programming language that will get you into the mindset of programming that you can use as a spring board for higher languages.

Learn HTML, this in itself won't get you into the mindset of programming, but once you get aquatinted with HTML learn JavaScript. HTML/JavaScript are web page designing languages, but even if you dot want to do web page design, they ate a good first step to higher languages.

I learned HTML and JavaScript from pageresource.com. It is a easy, step-by-step tutorial that does not assume you know anything other that computer basics and of course English. (If you do not meet these requirements this is not the website for you lol).
  15. Sarcky

Welcome to the forums DeathButton. You have revived a thread from 3 months ago. Generally discussions die after 2 weeks.

17. No Profile Picture

I feel like an idiot. I didn't look at the date, but it was on the frat page lol. I guess this topic doesn't get a lot of threads lol.
  19. Sarcky

"Beginner programming" gets 1-2 threads per week. It's not like you angered all the 12 people who will visit this week.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo