1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thinking of programming again

I have been thinking of learning a programming language as a hobby again.
    I have been tinkering with languages since I was about 9 years old back in 1982, learning BASIC on a TRS 80
    Generally I picked up what ever I have been school for with the exceptions of trying to learn VB, unreal script, and HTML on my own
    I have learned little things from Assembly (in a Microprocessor class) to Turbo Pascal. A rough list of what I have programmed in is: BASIC, Turbo Pascal, Q-Basic, C, Java, HTML, PHP, Visual Basic, SQL, HTML, Unreal Script, and there are probably a few I can not remember it has been so long ago

Lately I was thinking of doing some websites and put two of them up
    http://www.fromsheeptoshawl.com
    http://www,renfesthq.com
    I know they are not much but working on them as I go
    Working on these I came across the term SEO and looked at some of the tools for keyword research like Long Tail, or Market Samurai. Looking at those programs I got to thinking roughly how easy they would be to replicate. I enjoy working on the back end of things, never did like the front end design
    What I am wondering is what languages are Market Samurai and the rest of the programs like that written in. I did notice they used the Adobe AIR framework
  3. Put a potato on it!
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A quick google search suggest that Market Samurai uses either Java or .NET due to their use of Adobe Air. I found this article on working with Air as well, though it's pretty old. It does point out that .NET has a library built to use it. Adobe air

I don't know enough about Air to say much about it, but you could certainly create a similar site in python or php or ruby, and by now they probably have ways to integrate into Air as well.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo