1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Worried beginner

Hello everyone.

I am new here and I'm seeking some help.
    I am starting college in 2 months and I am taking computer engineering which involves a lot of electronics and physics as well as programming. I'm not worrying about the physics and electronics as much as I am about programming. I have read several guides and I know the basics to PHP, HTML, CSS and C++ but I can never stay focused and go through the entire manual. I can't commit to sitting down for several hours in my basement and read code by myself, I get bored quickly.
    And yes I do enjoy working with computers and programming but I'm a bad self-taught student.
    Am I missing something or am I just paranoid?
  3. Commie Mutant Traitor
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I'd say you're mostly paranoid, though you do seem to be missing something important: coding.

What I mean to say is, programming isn't just a passive learning experience. You need to actually sit down and write code yourself. Now, maybe you've been doing that, but the way you wrote it, it came across as if you were mostly reading about it. There's nothing wrong with that, but you need to practice as well.

I ordinarily recommend starting with a fairly easy language such as Python or Ruby or (my personal favorite) Scheme, but it sounds like you've already made some progress with some other languages, and I wouldn't want you to get turned around with too much at once. If you think you can do it, though, try to take some time to learn one of those, but keep in mind that if the school is using something like C++ or Java as it's main teaching language, that the style and idioms of those languages are going to be very different.
    Last edited by Schol-R-LEA; June 19th, 2011 at 09:11 AM.
    Rev First Speaker Schol-R-LEA;2 JAM LCF ELF KoR KCO BiWM TGIF
    #define KINSEY (rand() % 7) λ Scheme is the Red Pill
    Scheme in Short Understanding the C/C++ Preprocessor
    Taming Python A Highly Opinionated Review of Programming Languages for the Novice, v1.1

FOR SALE: One ShapeSystem 2300 CMD, extensively modified for human use. Includes s/w for anthro, transgender, sex-appeal enhance, & Gillian Anderson and Jason D. Poit clone forms. Some wear. $4500 obo. tverres@et.ins.gov
  5. No Profile Picture

I have done a bit of coding and I did enjoy it but it was very little because I didn't really have a big goal.
    I have recently started working on a new project (a website) which really motivates me and I hope that I won't get bored of it quickly.

Comments on this post

• MrFujin agrees : Motivation can be hard to find with a lack of "real" projects/tasks.
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi NeuReg, Im an electronics and engineering graduate. You will have no problem with electronics and physics since your teacher can teach it to you. For programming, your teacher will teach you only the basics of programming, your part is, if you want to be better in programming is to practice coding. It will be hard for first timers but as you go on with it, it will be fun.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo