1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry HELP! Database Link Questions

Can anyone let me know what is involved in linking a product database in MS Access to a Website? I want to ba able to create specific product pages that then pull from the database the information necessary to create the view on the web page for that particular product. Please point me in the right direction... THANKS!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Resident Moron
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Linking a MS Access DB to the web requires a server-side scripting language (like PHP or ASP) and for the host to have an ODBC Server set up. This allows different programs (such as the Script) to access the database. Because most ASP web hosts run Windows NT servers, this won't be a big deal if you decide to go with ASP. However, if you go with PHP your best bet may be to switch to MySQL or similar. Then again, I have seen PHP hosts that have ODBC setup on them. It's all a matter of your host, however.

Once you get past the hosting aspect, programming the actual database queries is a relatively simple process which is very thoroughly documented for most popular scripting languages.

-Pete

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo