1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question What languages do I need to learn???

Hello there y'all,

I have a simple, yet not so simple question to ask.

With all these languages around, what ones do I need to know?

It seems as though every employer around wants ASP/mySQL, or they want you to know them ALL!

So where do I start, what would you guys recommend? What are the best languages to learn? There seems to be no work in my area for soul 'web designers' or 'new media designers'. They all want developers.

I've heard alot about JSP, is it a worthwhile language?

I've recently picked up Python, and have come along fairly well with it. I can pick up most anything quickly, and pick it up to a level of competency.

So far I know, basic Visual Basic 5 and have a general knowledge of the windows API, I know intermediate Javascripting, same with VBScript. Im just starting out in Python, I know very little about ASP nor do I know much about mySQL but am persuing it also.

I believe that within the next 3-4 weeks, my brain will explode due to an overload of }'s, &'s, #'s and $'s.

Any guidance on what I need to learn first and what I should get profficient in fast would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance,
    estron

3. No Profile Picture

php

my recommendation would be to start with php first... this is a C/C++ style syntax which virtually all mainstream languages employ (e.g., Java). But PHP has a lower barrier-to-entry, is growing rapidly and will allow you to easily install it on your own machine for learning purposes. And there's a huge support community (witness this board).

Once you have PHP concepts clear, move to either Java or C/C++... there are plenty of jobs available in both. ASP syntax is so different (and some would argue, so bizarre) that it really doesn't help you conceptually as much as a C-style syntax.

Just my 2c

===========================================
    http://badblue.com/helpphp.htm
    Free small footprint web server for Windows
    PHP, P2P file-sharing, transcoding and more
    ===========================================
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up PHP & MySQL

I've been working with Perl for some time, but recently started looking at PHP and thus far have found it excellent. PHP works very well with MySQL, which is very handy in the web world.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

From what you said it sounds like the most important thing to learn is Mysql.

PHP is a good language and it is very easy to pickup. Because you are learning Python I dont' think its that important. Python can do just as much as PHP and it can do many things that PHP cannot.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo