1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Beginning programming & industry opportunities

Hi all,

After a few years in the IT support & Sysadmin game I wish to become a programmer.

I have started re-learning OOP by doing a Java course, and plan to continue my education throughout the year in software engineering & database units. Subjects/Technologies I will be focusing on at this stage are Java, Oracle DB, XML, UML, Agile, Linux.

Any advice out there that may assist in my career transition? Looking forward over the next 2-5 years are there any specific industry trends worth noting?

Many thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cool...I don't feel so alone now. I'm in the same situation, I'm a 12 yr Sys Admin and I am focusing on a switch to a development career as well.

I have found that the actual coding is only part of what's involved. It's as much about the SDLC and constant learning. Unfortunately, making the jump seems to be like leaping into the ocean and swimming for land, only you aren't sure where land is.

From everything I have read, in the next 2-5 years everything is moving towards mobile development and the cloud. While there may be some truth to this, I take it with a grain of salt.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo