1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hello to everyone.Need some directions

Hello,guys.From what google results showed,this is (one of) the best web development forums.Hope there aren't a lot of trolls.

To tell in very short my story or at least what can be related to this forum,I'm a minimalist,hard worker and enterpreneur at heart.

I have a vision for a web business,however I don't have $ to outsource it.On the otherside,I'm 18,so I do have time which is the most valuable asset after all.I haven't acquired any knowledge in programming/web dev because honestly I don't find it fascinating.I have been quite successfull in maths,if that helps

What I am passionate about and have drive for is bringing life to my project.At the moment I'm not interested in doing web projects for a living,so I'd like not to make this mistake that I've done with other crafts-for example reading 100 books about how to ride a car instead of combining practice and reading.

I can post some links if required for you to see what type of website I'm interested in building.

I'd like from you some directions what/where to learn from and I'm not afraid to put in however hard work is necessary.Thank you for your time.

Anton
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

I am not sure what kind of directions you are looking for. you didn't say what kind of project you want to "bring to life".

If you want to learn about web development, you should start learning HTML and CSS. Take a look at htmlcodetutorial or search Google for more tutorials.
  5. No Profile Picture

At the beginning I plan it to be advertisement driven content website.I want the design to be non flashy,minimalistic,yet stylish.When it gets traffic and its time to expand I want to add social network and social media sub-site.
    Call me a noob or whatever but from what I understand if we look at web development as engineering,you need solid foundations on which to build a platform and early mistakes can cost you in future.Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I can search for better example of my vision but let's say what skills are needed to build this:
    travbuddy(dot)com
    The style is not my favorite but it's not a bad site.And it doesn't look very basic platform too.
    So should I learn to code or use programs to build such a website?What languages must I master?
  7. Lord of the Dance

Besides HTML/CSS, you will also have to learn a serve-side language.
    AFAIK, the most popular/used languages at this moment are PHP and .NET (C#/ASP)

If you go with .NET, you can use Microsoft Visual Studio Express (free version).

Instead of creating it from scratch, you can install a pre-created web-portal/Content-management system like Joomla, Typo3, PhpBB or Wordpress.

But it all depends at you needs.
  9. No Profile Picture

Appreciate your help.Will try to be more specific
    I'd like to ask you if I build the site with some system instead which seems like the easier way to go instead of learning coding will there be issues if:
    I decide to expand and add social network to the content based website,so that the old website with the info written by me becomes just the homepage,said with other words:after I've got the traffic and regular visitors delivered because of the initial site,then to switch the main reason people visit the site to be the social network and also add video section of the site or just reg new domain nameofthesite.tv where people can upload their dumb vids.
    So that's the current vision that I have.Should I learn php or .net and which one of the both would you recommend?I see people recommend w3bschool in this forum.Does it have everything I need with up-to-date info or where should I read materials from?
    And last question for now - Do I need a fast computer to do the work or everything is stored on online servers so it's alright to do the work from my laptop while abroad?Please elaborate
    Thank you
  11. Lord of the Dance

Portals like Joomla and Wordpress allow plugins to be installed. I will guess it is possible to add what you want, but I don't have enough experience to tell with 100% accuracy or how complex it will be.

All examples I have listed use PHP. I don't know about similar portals that use the .NET Framework.

I can't see it should be a problem to use your laptop for testing and/or development.

I have used w3school myself, but not as the only source.
    Other sites that can be useful:
    w3c.org - documentation of the HTML standards
    php.net - documentation of PHP API, used by the portal examples I listed.
    mysql.com - Documentation of the MySQL database, is used by the portal example I listed.
    google.com - to find toturial, information about plugins, or anything else.
    this forum - if you are stuck with a specific problem

If you decide to use one of the portals, they (usually) have their own forum too.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thank you for your answer.But let's say I do BELIEVE that the social network part of the site has potential to attract millions of users,marketted the right way.So can you or someone else tell me if I use let's say Joomla instead of learning to code .php , would that **** up the platform for the social network?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo