1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PHP, Trim function

I figured this would be more classified as beginner then meriting the PHP development forum, I know I am new to DevShed so any help is greatly appreciated.

I am working on Interspire CMS/Cart for a client site and trying to give myself some more control for a front end basis. The navigation is dynamically built by this function

PHP Code:
    function buildMainNavigation()
    {

$output="";

$query="SELECT title FROM iwp_content WHERE typeid=2 OR typeid=5  ORDER BY sortorder";

$result=mysql_query($query);

$output=$output.'<div id="MainNavigation">';

$output=$output.'<div id="MainLinks">';

$output=$output.'<ul>';

$output=$output.'<li><a class="home" href="./">HOME</a></li>';
        while(
    $row mysql_fetch_array($result))
        {

$pagetitle=$row['title'];

$link strtolower($pagetitle);

$link=str_replace(" ","-",$link);

$link=$link.".html";

$pagetitlelink=trim($pagetitle);

$output=$output."<li><a class='$pagetitlelink' href='$link'>$pagetitle</a></li>";
        }
    //end while

$output=$output.'</ul>';

$output=$output.'</div>';

$output=$output.'</div>';
        return 
    $output;
    }
    //end function 
    Originally in the output of each link (excluding home which is always there) it just outputs

Code:
    <a href="$link">$pagetitlelink</a>
    My goal was to add in the

PHP Code:
    class='$pagetitle' 
    so that I can control each navigation a href with via it's class; while it does work, the problem is the extra spacing. To fix I attempted to use the trim function on $pagetitle and then create a new variable out of it for the class ($pagetitlelink)

It still works giving me the page but the trim (as well as ltrim and rtrim) did not remove the extra space. So some of the links with multiple words still read as 'Here Is Link' instead of 'HereIsLink'. My final thought was

PHP Code:
    $pagetitlelink=trim($pagetitle);
    $output=$output."<li><a class='$pagetitlelink' href='$link'>$pagetitle</a></li>"
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Beginner Programming is really more for the generic "I'm new to programming"-kind of help. Your question is entirely about PHP so the PHP Forum was the better choice. But don't worry about it (and don't make a thread there - this one is fine, and a moderator will probably move it soon enough anyways).

trim() only removes spaces from the beginning and end of the string - not from anywhere in the middle. The best way to get what you want would be to use regular expressions to remove any unwanted characters.

However I question your idea of using the post title to create CSS classes. What is this "more control" that you're trying to get? I bet there's a cleaner and more sensible approach.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well, a simple

PHP Code:
    str_replace(" ","",$string); 
    should be it

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo