1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Newbie - Where do i Start?

Ok, im a hardware tech for my company and im going to be learning to program small mobile apps for demo machines.My work has provided me with the SDK's and Visual Studio 2008.

I will prgramming for Win CE 5.0 and Windows mobile up to 6.0 and only will i be programming for ce andmobile platforms and a bit of database connecting either on site or online.

So i have a few questions:

1. Whats the best books/videos to by to concentrate on mobile development.

2. What should i learn forst vb,c# or c++

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance Mark
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Google is your best tool... It has always been better then any book. I would try to look for tutorials and walkthroughs so you can see and understand the patterns of any language.

If you need to know C# I would start off learning Java... It is very identical to c#... You would be able to pick up the elements of programming quickly by using methods and creating functions (2 terms you should understand) in Java which Java is super super easy and in my opinion the best pick me up language. After you get that and learn c# find out the difference between languages. C++ you'll have to learn "pointers" which are complicated at first, but im a young programmer.... So some may say dive into c++ at first. I recommend Java as a first time learning language.

Just take a breathe and play with java. As you learn the lingo and words of programming the words don't change but how you program is slightly different. All languages have the same concept, memory management, methods, functions, data types, data structures, algorithms, variables, constructors..... look up those words. I'd start with a tutorial programs that are "hello World" and work from there.

You'll need a compiler to debug and test your code... compilers change from language so ensure you have the ones you need setup properly for that particular language... They are packages that run in your IDE's like VB,netbeans, eclipse, blueJ.

When it comes to databases I would recommend using postgres because licensing is free, its open source, and it works just as good especially for smaller databases.

If your looking towards web based app I would look into zendframework or php (samething basically) zend framework will halp you get start on php apps.

These forums are excellent to get your code fixed or if your confused. Use these forums as a tool to get advice and help.

There is a lot to it and I admire the fact your picking up on programming on your own. Before I would dump a bunch of money in books I would take an intro to programming languages class at a local college/university so you can understand the terms and standards in naming variables, creating constructors, printing information, storing information in arrays, how to change information stored in an array, arrays start at [0], just all the basic components that will give you knowledge to further explore things you can teach yourself.

Comments on this post

• ZeroMan agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

I appreciate the information you provided is excellent post. Thank you for sharing.
  7. No Profile Picture

hi
    i think u may get started with the you tube videos
    to get start with programming.
    And i ll appreciate ur effort.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

start with c# or vb.net,

there are plenty of tutorials and educational materials and videos available on the net, you can get to know those languages using those,

then later try to find a book to learn in a more complete way, there is a book that i used called "c# the complete reference", its very good for real learning

i recommend this method as you can work it in your schedule, and you can speed up or slow down as you feel like it, or as you need.

and there is always internet forums and google where you can look up what is not working with you.
  11. No Profile Picture

@madbaho
    I would like to agree your point
    Last edited by krishmalar; October 20th, 2011 at 01:27 AM. Reason: I would like to agree madbaho point

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo