1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Recommend a platform for this task?

Hi all. I'm hoping you can recommend a good tool for a new programmer (me) to use to achieve a specific task.

Though I have little direct programming experience, I've spent considerable time as a Windows, and to a lesser extent, *nix sysadmin so I understand basic scripting, SQL, etc., and don't mind getting my hands dirty.

I work for a large IT firm, in a small division responsible for implementing a complex, industry-specific software/hardware solution. Currently the parent firm uses Sharepoint to record individual client details; this is not sufficient for my divison's purposes (I'd argue not for theirs, either!) but this is outside my control.

I want an application that will record specific information about my division's clients. I want to be able to select an individual customer and record/view many fields, as designed by me, for that customer.

My requirements are:

- A front-end that's either a Windows executable (preferred) or web-based
    - Ability to attach documents to customer records
    - Information written to a database, pref. MSSQL (MySQL would do if necessary)

Can someone suggest appropriate platforms to investigate, given my situation and requirements?

Thanks in advance.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Of those requirements you have listed, it would be interesting to know the reason why sharepoint was turned down.

There is no requirement regarding security? price? support?
    I am not sure if you are looking how to create something yourself or want an existing product?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by MrFujin
    Of those requirements you have listed, it would be interesting to know the reason why sharepoint was turned down.

There is no requirement regarding security? price? support?
    I am not sure if you are looking how to create something yourself or want an existing product?
    Sharepoint is owned by another internal organization and we've found it impossible to request changes in a timely manner. Additionally, I think it's cumbersome - I need access to specific data but we want it to be lightweight - I envision a front end that displays maybe 20-40 fields per customer on one or a couple pages.

We also wish to maintain control of our own data. Security is not necessarily an issue - I can address this by other means - but AD authentication could be useful.

We do want to create something ourselves.
  7. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Maybe you can look at ASP (C#) .NET to create a web-based application.
  9. No Profile Picture

IMO sharepoint is still the best.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

easiest way in my opinion
    windows forms application (c#)
    or
    windows forms application (vb.net)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo