1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need to break out of Microsoft Access

I have an Access project which I wrote 10 years ago with minor modifications over the years. Recently, the project has been picked up by colleagues but we are having lots of logistical difficulties since we run a PC/Mac setup and the Mac users need to get their hands on a PC just to run the application.

I know that i need to break away from Access and rebuild it as a stand alone application that can be used on PC or Mac (and even iPad maybe) but I have no idea whatsoever about where to start. Obviously I am able to manage the Visual Basic in Access but am willing to branch out as necessary. I just don't know how to go about it.

I'm hoping that people can offer suggestions about what I might explore. I've considered paying someone to do it for me but I don't really want to go down that avenue until I know more about what I actually want to end up with.

So, in a nutshell, I need to write a standalone application that will take over from the Access project with database, forms and reports and easy access by both PC and Mac users (and/or maybe iPads).

Any advice about platform/language/approach gratefully received.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Consider building something web based. Writing working cross platform software (especially when iPad is one of your platforms) takes a lot of time and effort.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for that. I was starting to see that that would be the only cross platform solution.

With a bit of research that looks like PHP and MySQL is my best bet. Right?

Ok, here comes a steep learning curve, methinks!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

you can easily create a cross platform application by using c#, the same peice of code will most likely run on windows/linux/mac/ipads ..etc
  9. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by bobf12x
    you can easily create a cross platform application by using c#, the same peice of code will most likely run on windows/linux/mac/ipads ..etc
    According to a quick google search, this is false. Please provide an example of how I can write an ipad/osx/windows native application in C#.

Chequer, look below this message to see the PHP new user guide. That should get you started on PHP/MySQL. The learning curve is steep and the task is daunting, however you already know many programming concepts and basic/advanced SQL.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    According to a quick google search, this is false. Please provide an example of how I can write an ipad/osx/windows native application in C#.

-Dan
    c# would not do 'native' like c++ , as it requires the .net runtime , which is not a big deal

in linux it can run using mono runtime

in mac , using mono runtime also

in ipad : http://ios.xamarin.com/IPad

i do not disagree with the suggestion of php/mysql, it just could be a different method of doing it, and it will end up depending on the environment or the application needed.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo