Thread: Need advice

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need advice

Hi All,

I have a bunch of excel spreadsheets that i would like to convert into a program that can be run off a db and be shareable with others. The logic is financial math. I suspect the hardest part is the graphing which needs to be semi-logs.

I need some advice on what language & db i could use to create this product.

Requirements:
    - able to share (so net based)
    - graphs need to be semi-logs with overlay formulae such as an average which can be interactive/dragged to re-calc the math. For example, revenues over time plotted semi-log on the revenues with a median across the revenues plot. And display an extrapolation into the future.
    - db to store the data

since its been 20yrs since i last programmed anything i am look for a language and/or set of tools that is simple to learn and create the above requirements.

Thanks!
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The most popular language on these forums is PHP, so that's probably the recommendation you'll get for a web-based app.

For graphing you'll have to look into custom pre-written libraries like jpgraph or FusionCharts. This will be the hardest part of your requirements. There are no web based graphing utilities that work like excel.

Databases are generally all the same unless you really know you need something special. MySQL is easy and popular.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

for the graphs: www.jqplot.com

for the backend site, there are 2 choices,

1. php+mysql
    relatively easy to start, but could take some time to be 'good', since you want to do a small project, php could be slightly better then c#

2. c#+mssql
    the start of learning it could be a bit intimidating, but soon you will be 'good' because of the backend .net library, and the very good IDE
  7. No Profile Picture

thanks for all the advise... i went with php/mysql as they were easy to pick up... for graphing i went with a product called chartdirector...

thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo