1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Creating database like applications

What I am looking to do is create a desktop application (databse format) that looks a certain file paths and checks if those file's exist. If they dont then alert the user, if they do then carry out another function. This may run a photoshop or indesign script or create newly named folders. I need an application that constantly updates the stage of where the project is at. i.e this could be down to the user input or if files exist or not.

I have a really desire to get into programming, but every time I look at learning a programming language I normally find out I need knowledge of a prior programming language. So it seems like a bit of a vicious circle. I have looked at Adobe Flex but that also requires prior knowledge of xml,PHP etc.

Could anyone give an advice of either where they started or with hindsight where you wish you had started. Best ways to learn? Online tutorials, books, training centres?

I know at previous companies where i have worked they have used languages such as vb, vba, vb.net, c++, but I have no knowledge of any such programming languages. but I dont want to go down a road that is a bit of a waste of time. All my needs would be Windows based.

Is html worth looking at if I dont currently need to do any web-related tasks. Is xml worth looking at first?

I have a little knowledge of javascript and understand key basic techniques such as variables, functions, loops and arrays. This is about as far as my scripting/programming knowledge goes.

I know this will not be a quick task to do so I feel I need advice from real programmers to know which route is best for me to learn languages that help me to learn database format applications that either run through excel or run in similar way (columns, row format)

Any advice would be very appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Looks like Visual Basic should work for you. VB is based on RAD programming principles (RAD = Rapid Application Development), and as the name implies, VB creates apps fast. Microsoft Visual Basic is part of their Visual Studio suite.

Visual Basic Express is free, and can be found on MS's website.
    Visual Studio Express

Microsoft came out with this language and environment called Simple Basic, which I think would be cool if you're starting to learn programming. Info and Quick Tut. The cool thing is it converts to Visual Basic as a feature. If you have both Simple Basic and Visual Basic installed, you can start with Simple Basic to get used to the kind of programming you'll be doing (if you go the VB route).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo