1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which languages?

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out which languages would be best for what I'm going to do.

First Project:
    I'm going to be creating a program where the user will input a link, and then the program will change that link into a different link in order for the program to download a video from the website. I already have a specific video in mind, which allows you to download videos by changing the URL.

Second Project:
    This is more web development. I want to create a website where a new user will be presented with some achievements (made by me). All of these achievements are manually tracked by the user. I want to somehow link the users to a forum account to, maybe vBulletin. I don't want it to be a forum plugin though, I want it to be two different parts of the website. If that's not practical, I'll just make user profiles and have a separate forum. I really want the website to look great and the way the achievements are tracked should be smooth. Each achievement should have a picture, description, and counter. When you mark it as complete, the whole webpage shouldn't have to refresh. Eventually I also want to make mobile applications to be linked to the user profile so that you can modify your achievements from the app, probably iOS and Android.

So, what languages should I look at to get started?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

For a web app you generally need to know some server side language, HTML, SQL, CSS, and JavaScript. If you're going to be integrating with software like vBulletin that's written in PHP, then PHP would be a good choice for a server side language.

Native iOS apps use Objective-C. Native Android apps use Java. You can build apps for both with JavaScript/HTML/CSS too though.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    For a web app you generally need to know some server side language, HTML, SQL, CSS, and JavaScript. If you're going to be integrating with software like vBulletin that's written in PHP, then PHP would be a good choice for a server side language.

Native iOS apps use Objective-C. Native Android apps use Java. You can build apps for both with JavaScript/HTML/CSS too though.
    Thanks.

Would you say that project two is something I should really go for? I want to do it, but I don't want to set myself up for failure if I'm just beginning.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo