1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Application: not a procedure; Dr. Racket(

Hi there! I started studying Dr.racket and I need to produce a list that have first part from a list and the second part from the vector. For example, if I run my program (d '(a b c) '#( 1 2 3))
    It should return ((a . 1) (b . 2) ( c . 3)) ;;;. is for pair. So, here is my code:
    Code:
    (define d
      ( lambda(list vector)
         (define num 0)
         ( d cdr list (vector-ref(vector)num+1))
         ( cons car list vector)))
    However, I am getting
    application: not a procedure;
    expected a procedure that can be applied to arguments
    given: #(1 2 3)
    arguments...: [none]
    it complains about (vector-ref(vector)num+1) but I don't understand why... Any help?
    Thanks.
  3. Commie Mutant Traitor
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

It's because you have extra parentheses around the name vector, which causes the interpreter to treat it as a function of no arguments. That line should read
    Code:
         ( d cdr list (vector-ref vector (+ 1 num)))
    Mind you, this still isn't correct. First off, the names list and vector conflict with existing function names; try lst and vec instead, or something similar. Second, you need to test whether the list is null, and whether the vector is length zero, before you do any of this, otherwise you'll end up with an infinite recursion. Third, you don't need the num local variable, and even if you did, the correct way to declare a local is with let, not define. Finally, you want to rearrange the recursive call to d so that it comes after where you cons the two first elements together.

I would also recommend looking up the vector-length and vector-drop functions in the Racket documentation, as you'll need them both.
    Last edited by Schol-R-LEA; November 7th, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Rev First Speaker Schol-R-LEA;2 JAM LCF ELF KoR KCO BiWM TGIF
    #define KINSEY (rand() % 7) λ Scheme is the Red Pill
    Scheme in Short Understanding the C/C++ Preprocessor
    Taming Python A Highly Opinionated Review of Programming Languages for the Novice, v1.1

FOR SALE: One ShapeSystem 2300 CMD, extensively modified for human use. Includes s/w for anthro, transgender, sex-appeal enhance, & Gillian Anderson and Jason D. Poit clone forms. Some wear. $4500 obo. tverres@et.ins.gov
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Schol-R-LEA
    It's because you have extra parentheses around the name vector, which causes the interpreter to treat it as a function of no arguments. That line should read
    Code:
         ( d cdr list (vector-ref vector (+ 1 num)))
    Mind you, this still isn't correct. First off, the names list and vector conflict with existing function names; try lst and vec instead, or something similar. Second, you need to test whether the list is null, and whether the vector is length zero, before you do any of this, otherwise you'll end up with an infinite recursion. Third, you don't need the num local variable, and even if you did, the correct way to declare a local is with let, not define. Finally, you want to rearrange the recursive call to d so that it comes after where you cons the two first elements together.

I would also recommend looking up the vector-length and vector-drop functions in the Racket documentation, as you'll need them both.
    thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo