1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which programming language is most suitable for this project??

I've got this idea to create a useful program but need assistance as to which programming language I could quickly study and use for the dummy.
    The program is intended to be run on different machines(win XP, Vista,7) all connected to a network (intranet) from different locations. The program is to be a lightweight alert software which runs quietly in the background. The software's main function is to display a designed information message whenever the user types a certain account number or name that has been listed in a database/blacklist.

The display message should not be in windows explorer, but a system display, slightly transparent, well designed message which disappears after a few seconds; similar to antivirus warning pop-up messages.

The software should be programmed to update the list of account numbers and names at start-up and every 30 mins. The program should run at startup always and never be closed only hidden. Which programming language would be suitable for coding this software quickly and effectively??
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

C++ or C# would give you access to the Windows APIs you would need to create something like that. VB might be able to do it too, although I'm not sure on that one. If you have no programming experience you're still a year or two away from being able to program something like that.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Sarcky

Note that software like this may actually be illegal where you are (though I'm not a lawyer). You're proposing writing an app that tracks keystrokes, analyzes them, matches patterns against a running blacklist, and interrupted their OS when you don't agree with their typing. There's nothing stopping you from recording their keystrokes entirely, grabbing online banking passwords, etc. If this is for a corporation, the employees will be VERY unhappy to learn that their keystrokes are being recorded. If it's for another use, this is almost definitely a trojan horse virus.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. No Profile Picture

this is nothing illegal, its just a reminder or alert sofware designed for customer service officers of a corporate firm to alert them of special instructions when they are processing entries for certain accounts. the software just pops up an informative message when the account number is typed. dont need the keylogger function as a whole.
  9. Sarcky

It's still a keylogging piece of software, you just pinky swear that you're not saving the keystrokes. It's going to be very difficult to write what basically amounts to a trojan horse virus which interfaces directly on the keyboard at the driver level. Just be careful with this, both ethically and legally.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

I think php is the best language for creating this project...

Comments on this post

• Scorpions4ever disagrees : Horsepuckey. You have no idea what you're talking about.
  13. No Profile Picture

I agree on using either C/C++ and VB on this. I have a friend who was able to program the whole software using a combi of C/C++, yet I don't know the other language used.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

really PHP??? a server side scripting language that has no methods of creating system dialogs or access to the keyboard??

As far as I am aware VB.NET will not be able to access the keyboard events while not in focus, maybe if its compiled as a service which iv never messed with before with VB.NET. I would use C++ but as stated above these are not languages that can be learned in a matter of weeks without becoming an infamous (ctrl+CV Developer)
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i believe this is exactly what a member posted a little while ago. like completely copied and pasted

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo