Thread: Advise/Guidance

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Advise/Guidance

I have recently thought of a rather large project and I just started going to school for basic web development. Looking for some advise as to what I need to learn to make this project possible.

I am currently trying to build a website similar to I guess you would say a free hosting website. I am going to build 7 or 8 templates and I wish to build a simple and easy to use basic fill out form for selecting template etc to build your website. Which then automatically creates everything. Subdomain, selected template, etc. Then of course I want to make certain text in the template editable, the logo etc. Also a user control panel showing whatever I wish to display about the account.

I understand how large of a project this may be I just wish to be pointed in the right direction as to what I should be focusing on in school to make this possible.

Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Mostly just the standard web development stuff; some sort of server side language, a SQL database of some type, JavaScript, CSS and HTML.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Alright, thank you for the info.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well if your looking at making a free webhosting website i am assuming you are going to want to host peoples sites and in that case you will need to learn alot about server administration and security. Also you will really want to look into the costs involved in running a hosting service. Your either going to have to lease a dedicated server from another hosting company, or purchase a server and host it yourself(plan between $1,500-$4,500 per server) plus electric and internet service for the server(standard internet service will not have the upstream you need)

Originally Posted by GGFish01
    Alright, thank you for the info.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo