1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Software developer job interviews

Hi

I have three job interviews coming up in the next week, all of them for PHP developer roles. I am an intermediate level php developer with just under two years experiance. However, I have mainly worked for web development agencies where getting the job done as fast as possible is their only real concern because thatís how they make profit e.g. charge by the hour. This has meant that they didnít really follow best practices, testing was pretty much non-existent, they didnít even use a version control system as the designers hated it and makings things look nice was more of a priority.

I am trying to move away from this and get into a more professional software development focused role and as such the interview process is a lot more stringent. I am technically capable of doing this kind of role but often convincing HR managers of this is a different story so how should I answer the following type of questions in a way that is going to aid me in getting a job. Obviously I have my own answers but Id like to know how you would answer them as either a software developer or developer manager.

1. How do you organise yourself when working on a project?

2. How do you keep track of where you are?

3. How do you comminicate with your team?

4. What is youe experience of communicating with clients?
  3. Contributing User

Originally Posted by recci
    Hi

I have three job interviews coming up in the next week, all of them for PHP developer roles. I am an intermediate level php developer with just under two years experiance. However, I have mainly worked for web development agencies where getting the job done as fast as possible is their only real concern because thatís how they make profit e.g. charge by the hour. This has meant that they didnít really follow best practices, testing was pretty much non-existent, they didnít even use a version control system as the designers hated it and makings things look nice was more of a priority.

I am trying to move away from this and get into a more professional software development focused role and as such the interview process is a lot more stringent. I am technically capable of doing this kind of role but often convincing HR managers of this is a different story so how should I answer the following type of questions in a way that is going to aid me in getting a job. Obviously I have my own answers but Id like to know how you would answer them as either a software developer or developer manager.

1. How do you organise yourself when working on a project?

**** ANSWER: Keep a notebook that you keep with you at all times, make updates and notes as you make advances or progress. Keep notes of any meetings or emails and do this daily. Next if your company uses some Source Code source repository like CVS use it and check out and chect in and always save your work. Also as a good rule of thumb, ALWAYS make a Copy of the file your about to edit and then save your work afterwards.

2. How do you keep track of where you are?

**** ANSWER: Same as above for answer #1

3. How do you comminicate with your team?

**** ANSWER: Always send a email, and follow it up with talking to your team. A brief update to your supervisor and check in with your team can help out greatly.

4. What is youe experience of communicating with clients?
    **** ANSWER: well this all depends on your own experiences, but for me I always start off with a email where I send the response to them and cc myself/ Then I call them and tell them or update them. If the client is a internal customer, another group you could go talk to them as well. Also always inform your supervisor with a update.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi thanks for taking time to answer. Perhaps a better way of asking this is how should the above questions be done in an ideal world during an enterprise level development project?
  7. Contributing User

The answers remain the same
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Plus when your working for a company they are going to have set standards that you adhere to. I know with me i spend 60% of my time adhering to company policies while the other 40% is spent writting code. Gotta love coorporate consultants "streamlining" our procedures :P
  11. No Profile Picture

well for an interview it doesn't matter which kind, always keep in mind that you have to sell yourself in front of the interviewer.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo