1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi I am 13 years old, and I want to be a programer. I have learned HTML. Is there anything more that I need to know?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    When you say you want to be a programmer, do you mean you want to write applications? You mention HTML, does that mean that you want to write dynamic websites? Both?
  5. No Profile Picture

Yes, I'd like to write dynamic web sites.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well, here is a good place to start. Learn php and dhtml also www.pageresource.com hase some nice tutorials. JavaScript can't hurt....

------------------
    2 Samuel 7:10 Moreover I will appoint place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in a place of their own, and move no more; neither shall the children of wickedness afflict them any more, as beforetime,
  9. No Profile Picture

There is so much to learn. I am a technical trainer.
    Start off by putting your pages on geocities.
    If you want to make your webpages look good then you need to know a graphics application, like GIMP or Corel Draw. Sometimes you leave the graphics to someone else.
    If you start noticing that geocities doesn't let you do what you want then here are some suggestions.
    If you want to know how to get <form> information learn PERL (which will lead into CGI).
    You can pay for space on another persons computer they will let you do a little more than Geocities since you know Perl/CGI.
    If you find yourself still restricted,
    then learn how to use Apache (when you are ready).
    After all this you can have a website on your own machine and do whatever you want.
    (and don't bother with Javascript and J-script, it is too hard for most begining programmers.)
    Jeremy
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Beg to differ. I'm a software engineer w/ some 20yrs of experience in a variety of fields (apps, OSs, all kinds of networks), and have coached beginning programmers in the past.

Clientside Javascript is not that hard to learn, is good for developing web-based apps (since you can do part of your processing in the browser), and will give you a basic insight into object-oriented programming since it's object based. It'll also make it easier to learn Java and become a servlet programmer and due to the similarities in syntax will help learn C (if you want) and to a lesser extent Perl. Also you need to know Javascript if you want to do any DHTML at all. Plus you'll be able to play with it even if your only webspace is on Geocities or another free provider.

If you want to play around, I suggest hopping over to http://www.xitami.com where you can download a free webserver that runs under Win9x. http://www.activestate.com will give you Perl 5 for Windows. This will save you the hunt and money for a provider that supports CGIs.
    The xitami webserver is pretty easy to set up w/o getting you bogged down in details. It also supports PHP if you download that from http://www.php.net .

As you can see, there is plenty more to learn . Have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Good luck, Ton
  13. No Profile Picture

I am a beginner too, although I am much older than 13. This information is very useful and I plan to use it as I continue to learn more about web development. Thanks. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tvanbart:
    Beg to differ. I'm a software engineer w/ some 20yrs of experience in a variety of fields (apps, OSs, all kinds of networks), and have coached beginning programmers in the past.

Clientside Javascript is not that hard to learn, is good for developing web-based apps (since you can do part of your processing in the browser), and will give you a basic insight into object-oriented programming since it's object based. It'll also make it easier to learn Java and become a servlet programmer and due to the similarities in syntax will help learn C (if you want) and to a lesser extent Perl. Also you need to know Javascript if you want to do any DHTML at all. Plus you'll be able to play with it even if your only webspace is on Geocities or another free provider.

If you want to play around, I suggest hopping over to http://www.xitami.com where you can download a free webserver that runs under Win9x. http://www.activestate.com will give you Perl 5 for Windows. This will save you the hunt and money for a provider that supports CGIs.
    The xitami webserver is pretty easy to set up w/o getting you bogged down in details. It also supports PHP if you download that from http://www.php.net .

As you can see, there is plenty more to learn . Have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Good luck, Ton
    [/quote]

15. No Profile Picture
    ssvr6
    Geocities is a great place to start. You definately want to use Cascading Style Sheets(CSS) as well. Really gives your site a nice uniform look as well as giving you some nice "design" options.
    I also agree that JavaScript is a good thing to learn. It definately allows you do some dynamic effects as well as being a part of DHTML.
    It all depends on what you want to do. My main knowledge is database code. (SQL, PL-SQL, ASP etc...) I'm pretty good using CSS and Tables are biggie as well. All good sites are held together with a well designed table.
    Anyway, start with Geocities. They support CSS, JavaScript, and HTML. (Not sure about DHTML, never tried it.)
    Hope this helps.

Steve

------------------
    Web Application Developer
    steveingels@dbt.net
  17. No Profile Picture

I'm 16 and writing an online game in Perl. I started learning it about 4 months ago, and the language is very easy to pick up. There are also quite a few free web hosts out there that will let you run your own cgi (perl or C) scripts. I'd be learning Perl and JavaScript for now, but XML seems like a good option as it bears stark similarities to WML (WAP phone language).

------------------
    Stop slaggin off tuna

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo