1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I have a question that I desperately need an answer to. I would very much appreciate any help that anyone could throw my way.

I recently purchased a new domain and hosting account. I'm looking to set up a shopping cart and I need to connect to my domain to set permissions to files and directories.

Here is what I've done so far:

1) Click on Start and Run through Windows.
    2) Then I typed "telnet mydomain.com"

It says that the connection could not be made between server and my Telnet. What am I doing wrong here? I've never used this before so I am pretty Telnet clueless.

Thanks!
    Mekada
  3. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    Check with your web host or read the HELP section of their web site. I don't think they configured in such a way to allow you to telnet to your domain directly. More than likely, it's a specific host of your host's domain and you are chroot to your home directory.
  5. No Profile Picture

Yes, I agree with freedsb. Sometimes, Web Hosting companies do not allow you to connect to your own directories by telnet. (Unless you are a server yourself...) My hosting com doesn't support it either although I know how to use telnet etc... Kind of sad, but that's the reality... I guess. First, call your hosting com and make sure if they allow you to use telnet. If not, you can simply change the commands by using your FTP program, such as Fetch etc... If it's STILL not working, call your host up and ask... I know I know... it's a big job...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo