Thread: Which language?

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have heard repeatedly "programmers get the big bucks".

My question is which language should I focus on to earn $50k or more. I'm 50 yrs old and I need a non-physical job. It doesn't matter to me if I would be developing for the web or other apps. I can not really learn more than one or two langs thoroughly.

So...which ones?

Thanks
    Dave Benware
  3. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    Web development will get you into a high income bracket the quickest, especially if your situation allows you to freelance. Learn HTML even if you are not going to design. Javascript is helpful, too.

As far as server side scripting goes, do a search for jobs in your area to see what is in demand (PHP, ASP, Perl, CF) and learn SQL, too.

I know these are more recommendations than you asked for, but it's a minimum. You could learn C++ or Java, but to learn it well you'll need more time than learning the above. If you have the time than great, but the end result of $ is about the same.
  5. chown python:users\ /world

And learn different OS's (Operating Systems). UNIX is a big plus! Another great web scripting language is MIVA. Just stick with learning one language at a time or you just shoot yourself in the foot!

------------------
    Hartmann
  7. No Profile Picture

In the UK Java skills are in high demand and I know of people in London working in the financial sector who have contracts that are paying 90.00 an hour.

If you intend learning IT skills I strongly recomend that you learn database skills (SQL) because whatever language you learn you will at some stage need to connect to a database.

[This message has been edited by eaamj01 (edited November 17, 2000).]
  9. No Profile Picture

I started this thread and I want to thank those of you that have replied so far.

Also, I would like to give you a little more info on my position to help future replies.

I know html quite well, I am familiar with Perl and have written several cgi's with it that are used by a large, but non profit web site. I have been scripting in TCL for over a year for an IRC (eggdrop) robot. I have made use of some javascript and I have looked into php. I know enough *nix to get around. I run my own (local on cable modem) Apache for Win98 web server. I have a lot of time on my hands for learning and I would be in the position to freelance and/or possibly relocate.

I have been searching job banks for "programmers", "web developers", and by keywords for weeks, local and national (usa). What I found was that a very large skill set is required and that finding was the impetus for my question.

I welcome new input on my question. I am still reading your answers with great interest and much respect.

Thank you,
    Sincerely,
    David Benware

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo