1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Are computer programming jobs stressful?

Hi. I was researching my career options and I was wondering if computer programming jobs are stressful.I heard contradictory information about this online. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Not really any more or less stressful than any other job. There can be different triggers for sure but every job has them: stupid clients/customers, stupid requirements/job policies, stupid coworkers...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

I would say yes.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. Transforming Moderator

Something something you'll get more contradictory information here too
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In my opinion, any job would be stressful and dull if you're not interested in it.

I remember, as a kid, I loved math. I could sit for hours solving linear algebra, calculus, co-ordinate geometry, etc.. But when it came to studying history, my mind would wander off or my eyes would shut, because I was not interested. Hence, I disliked it, found it stressful to study and write history tests.

At a later stage, after I joined college, I developed a liking for history and started reading lot of articles related to history from wikipedia. But it was too late by then. I had chosen engineering in college and there was no place for history in the curriculum. Had I developed that interest back in my childhood, I would have fared well in history too. So, you see what I mean?

IMHO, it all boils down to interest. I don't deny that there are no external factors influencing a stressful job. As requnix pointed out, there are always not-so-favourable customers/policies/co-workers. Then again, you can always find a way to tackle them.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Agreed with the other posts. I've been a programmer for over a decade, and there have been times where the stress has really affected my health and conversely, other times when I've been very stress-free and thankful for my type of work. Really depends on the project and the company for whom you work (and your boss, your peers, etc).

All in all, I agree with the other post that indicated that programming is not really much more stressful than any other job. I work completely out of my home right now as a programmer for a large development consultant firm, and I love every bit of it and am generally pretty light on stress most of the times (with the exception of near-launch dates and when very dangerous bugs are discovered within code that I already deployed to production). Definitely don't be deterred from pursuing a programming career based on the fear of it being more stressful than other careers.
  13. No Profile Picture

I switched from a Java developer to a Software Tester (white box) due to deadlines that affected my health. As the project completion time comes near you will have to loose your sleep if you aren't among those who can handle huge stress with ease. I am feeling very light these days after switching to software testing from programming.
  15. No Profile Picture

It really does depend and varies with people. Some companies would push you much more than other companies do. Hence, why it's stressful.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo