1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What are my best options?

First, I am a newbie. I have an idea for website. I would like input for the best way to accomplish it. A brief description of what it will do. It will be for couponing and shopping. It will help users create grocery lists and cross reference sales and coupons available for items on their list. Once a list is created, it will sort it by aisle order. Track sales cycles for grocery items. It will contain (in my opinion a large amount of data) and will be web based. I have started playing around with it using PHP and MYSQL. I have discovered that PHP by itself will not give me the interface that I want. I have been told that for the type of dependant select boxes I want to use, Ajax and/or JQuery would be necessary. I dont mind putting in the effort to learn what I need to, but dont want to learn something that will not meet my needs. If this gives you enough information, please give your opinion. If you need more information to form an opinion, please ask. I just checked and the local community college does not offer php classes.
    Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You'll need: HTML, CSS, PHP and javascript/jQuery.

for PHP I found a nice tutorial over at Tuts Plus. I'm sure they have tuts on javascript/jQuery as well.
  5. Old Fart

You can also consider a Content Management System [CMS] there are many out there that are free. Take a look at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if you're going to use a CMS, WordPress is very simple to use and looks very nice. it has a lot of themes and the WooCommerce plugin allows you to set up a trading enviroment or web store.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by dogguy2010
    First, I am a newbie. I have an idea for website. I would like input for the best way to accomplish it. A brief description of what it will do. It will be for couponing and shopping. It will help users create grocery lists and cross reference sales and coupons available for items on their list. Once a list is created, it will sort it by aisle order. Track sales cycles for grocery items. It will contain (in my opinion a large amount of data) and will be web based. I have started playing around with it using PHP and MYSQL. I have discovered that PHP by itself will not give me the interface that I want. I have been told that for the type of dependant select boxes I want to use, Ajax and/or JQuery would be necessary. I dont mind putting in the effort to learn what I need to, but dont want to learn something that will not meet my needs. If this gives you enough information, please give your opinion. If you need more information to form an opinion, please ask. I just checked and the local community college does not offer php classes.
    Thanks.

keep your idea is very good....
  11. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The new user guide for PHP contains information about the manuals and training resources.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo