#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Just started - Need a good simple project to work on - HTML/CSS, PHP


    Hey guys I've been going through code academy and reading up on these languages, but I can only learn so much like that, I need a more hands-on/trial and error approach.

    Where should I start with making a website? I need to meet a simple criteria, and then move up by adding additional features and using more advanced code.

    I'm under the impression you download a "theme" from the internet to base your site off of? Is this true? Is this where I start?

    My level is I know a decent amount of HTML, and some CSS, and I've worked with PHP.



    And just because I'm new I'll throw this out here. I've been developing WP sites for years professionally but now I want to get more advanced and start implementing more customized features in my own websites. My dad also rents a large server, so that stuff isn't a big deal.


    Let me know!
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    2
    maybe a nice project would be a guestbook that requires posters to log in? when I started off, the first script I made was a script that told me whether it was night, morning, afternoon or evening. after that we did some more irrelevant things, but pretty soon we were working on a simple blog CMS. as for your other questions, I don't know. I made my own pages with my own layouts, if you know how html works with divs, and some basic css, then you should be fine.

    I made a simple (messy) html page that you can use if you'd like to see how divs and css work http://pyramit.denners.nl/
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by thechooch
    maybe a nice project would be a guestbook that requires posters to log in? when I started off, the first script I made was a script that told me whether it was night, morning, afternoon or evening. after that we did some more irrelevant things, but pretty soon we were working on a simple blog CMS. as for your other questions, I don't know. I made my own pages with my own layouts, if you know how html works with divs, and some basic css, then you should be fine.

    I made a simple (messy) html page that you can use if you'd like to see how divs and css work
    That's a good idea! I guess with any language a good place to start is a basic input-output tool.

    And that website looks pretty good! Do you build professionally or just for yourself?
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    2
    Originally Posted by twistedkeys
    That's a good idea! I guess with any language a good place to start is a basic input-output tool.

    And that website looks pretty good! Do you build professionally or just for yourself?
    yeah, I'm in the process of re-learning PHP so I have to start with the basics again too you could check out the tuts plus PHP fundamentals tutorial, it guides you through some simple applications too.

    Thanks! I don't build professionally yet; starting next month I will be working together with someone who does, and I will be "trained" to become a professional web developer. I will kind of be a web developers apprentice, basically

    edit: I've been interested in this book too. Perhaps it's something for you to check out?
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by thechooch
    yeah, I'm in the process of re-learning PHP so I have to start with the basics again too you could check out the tuts plus PHP fundamentals tutorial, it guides you through some simple applications too.

    Thanks! I don't build professionally yet; starting next month I will be working together with someone who does, and I will be "trained" to become a professional web developer. I will kind of be a web developers apprentice, basically

    edit: I've been interested in too. Perhaps it's something for you to check out?
    Nice! thanks for the references. I'll look into those! And good luck!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo