1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is it possible to become a successful programmer without a CS degree?

Hello,

I was just wonder if it is possible to become a successful programmer without a CS degree. I am currently a student in pursue of my CS degree and I know that all of the information that is offered by the college I can find on free online resources, or at lease at cheaper rates. So is my degree really going to be worth it?

If I can find all the equivalent information online for free or much cheaper, without a degree, then why get a degree?

Can someone please explain this to me!

Thank You All
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    To tell you the truth, of the really good programmers that I work with -- most of them don't have a CS degree. I have three physics majors, a music major, a qualified (and practising) psychologist, a philosophy major, a mechanical engineer, a math major, two high-school graduates and perhaps two people with CS degrees.

On the other hand, a college education is mainly about interacting with people and learning how to problem solve. Your CS degree might not make you a very good programmer, but it will help you get your foot through the door in many places. For instance, my CTO won't hire anyone without at least a high-school degree and for this reason, we had to pass on this exceptional perl programmer who was working at Microsoft (of all places!) and really knew his stuff. One of the guys leading another team simply won't hire anyone without a college degree (which is particularly funny, because he himself doesn't have one!)
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture

Define "successful" in your terms.

Though, yes there are a variety of people that became millionaires without getting a CS degree. Lots of them just created a simple software that does something unique no one ever thought of making.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg both don't have degrees although to be fair they're Harvard drops out which many would argue is worth more than a degree at another college. One thing you might consider if you don't go down the CS path is getting involved in as many open source projects as possible. If you dont have a degree to show them atleast have a portfolio to show.
    Last edited by Good News; August 30th, 2013 at 07:33 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Yes, many very well-known and successful programmers do not have a CS degree. Also, if you browse a job site and read, many jobs state, Degree in Computer Sciences, or EQUIVALENT experience. The last job I worked paid $75,000 and was accepting applications from folks with EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE.

So, I guess it really depends on your idea of "successful".
  11. No Profile Picture

Of course! It all depends on you skills and you final product, marketing and a god business plan

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo