1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Where do I start to learn programming?

Hello folks. Other than some very very basic HTML that I use on Ebay, I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO knowledge of any type of programming. I would like to create web pages and websites. Where would I begin ? What languages should I begin with as an absolute beginner ? THANKS
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

It depends on HOW you learn as to what types of resources to use for learning [online tutorials, videos, books), but, as for WHAT to learn, here is my list:

1. HTML
    2. CSS
    3. Javascript
    4. PHP (or other server-side language; ie. perl, python, JAVA, etc.)
    5. MySQL(or some other database/SQL language; ie. postgres, firebird, sqlite3, etc.)

(PHP/MySQL pretty much go hand-n-hand IMHO)
    Last edited by DonR; September 22nd, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Smile

Originally Posted by DonR
    It depends on HOW you learn as to what types of resources to use for learning [online tutorials, videos, books), but, as for WHAT to learn, here is my list:

1. HTML
    2. CSS
    3. Javascript
    4. PHP (or other server-side language)
    5. MySQL(or some other database/SQL language)

(PHP/MySQL pretty much go hand-n-hand IMHO)

I will learn online by tutorial based websites. I do very well with that type of learning like with lynda.com. I just need to know what to start out with. Also what kind of simple basic program I can use with my mac that uses numbered lines for code writing. I remember "go live" from years ago but now I am unfamiliar with what I should use to begin training.
  7. No Profile Picture

I can suggest that you start with page formatting: HTML Scripting.HTML is a very easy very fast type of language for beginner to develop sites.
    Hope this helps you.
  9. Contributing User

I used to teach several people basics of web-building. I dare to recommend you to study in three directions simultaneously or in the given order:

1. Web-design
    Get any tutorial on HTML and try to start writing simple pages in notepad. Later add here practicing of CSS.

Sample of tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/html/

2. Programming PHP
    If you are going to create anything more complex than static web-pages, you need to learn some language used for dynamic web-page generation (i.e. to produce complex HTML depending on some data without modifying it manually). Since PHP is one of most widely used - and at the same time it has very low "entering threshold" - i.e. it is easy to start - I recommend to get tutorial on it and start learning it too.

Sample of tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/php/

3. Programming Basics, Logic, Data Structures, Algorithms
    You probably very soon will found that though you have fair knowledge of language functions, you keep on failing to implement some tasks of processing simple data, searching etc. It will be time to practice on programming core itself. It is better to solve a good number of simple programming tasks. Find some decent problemset and proceed with it.

My web-site with beginner's programming problems: http://codeabbey.com

4. Database techniques
    Data for websites are usually stored in databases, rather than in plain files. At some point you'll need to dive in this matter.

Sample tutorial: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html

5. Programming JavaScript
    As PHP generates web-pages on server side, JavaScript is another language which works in browser after web-page is received. It is not at once necessary to you, but it is extremely wide used.

Sample tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/js/

I think that at this point you will know well enough where to move further. It would be worth to learn some PHP frameworks (like CakePHP) or move to other languages (like Python or, perhaps, Java)
  11. No Profile Picture

The Microsoft Virtual Academy is the go to place. They have great resources on html5 for beginners. Their free video training modules designed by the industry’s leading expert will help you understand the concepts and improve overall programming skills.
  13. No Profile Picture

codecademy.com

Codecademy has pretty good, accessible lessons in most web technologies. Uses a point system that can add a little motivation when the material gets boring. Downside is sometimes the lessons are trivial, and sometimes you will encounter bugs that make you doubt your own sanity. Helpful forums. Start with HTML/CSS track.
  15. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There's also a new user guide for the PHP forum, which includes some information on how to get started.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  17. No Profile Picture

Suggestions

Originally Posted by joe109ems
    Hello folks. Other than some very very basic HTML that I use on Ebay, I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO knowledge of any type of programming. I would like to create web pages and websites. Where would I begin ? What languages should I begin with as an absolute beginner ? THANKS
    Hey, I was in the same situation that you're in and after doing some online research I decided to try taking online courses. I've taken two courses from learntoprogram.tv (they have a good bundle I took advantage of and its only a dollar to sign up for a month!) I learned the basics of Java and C programming and now I'm learning about iOS development. I highly suggest checking them out.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo