1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Beginner question in programming

i am new to programming and i want to know what is the difference between all the programming languages and is scripting and programming the same? i already understand that everything is coding but i want to learn about programming for games. i see unity has scripting but, where to start in scripting even, its all very very confusing to me
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't even know where to start.
    i am new to driving and i want to know what is the difference between all the cars and is driving and off-roading the same? i already understand that everything is a vehicle but i want to learn about driving for races. i see amusement parks have go karts but, where to start in driving even, its all very very confusing to me
    1. It is not possible to enumerate all the differences between all the languages.
    2. "Scripting" is a very generic term and can be used to mean different things in different situations. It may or may not count as programming.
    3. Programming for games is complicated and requires, at the very least, being familiar with programming in the first place.
    4. Where you begin depends on what you already know.

Are there any schools near to you that offer classes on programming? Or maybe classes offered online? If you want to learn seriously then it sounds like you'll need to learn from an actual person and not from, say, some set of "tutorials".

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

hi, i think you misunderstood me, when i asked what is the difference between all i meant not specifically between each and everyone just a general thing, but stil i am confused about it all and what is what when it comes to the whole programming field,programming languages etc, am looking to programme for games, simple ones, unity is using scripting and i see scripting has its own languages so i am thinking scripting looks like its own genre while there are others but i am unclear are what are the categories
  7. Contributing User

In context of Unity "scripting" means programming, of course. There is some division of programming languages into interpreted (which are executed "as-is") and compiled (which are preprocessed to processor code or some kind of byte-code before execution to speed it up). Scripting generally means programming with interpreted language.

As you see, this should not be important to you right now. It is only about technical details.

i already understand that everything is coding
    Strictly speaking, programming is not exactly the same as coding, though they are usually used as synonyms.

Programming is broader word and could mean considering program design, designing algorithm, refactoring the code, debugging etc. Coding in its turn more precisely describes process of translation of your ideas into programming language - especially when you have clear idea of what exactly you are going to write and how.

hi, i think you misunderstood me
    I'm sorry, but perhaps people will understand you easier if you can split your message in separate sentences, using capital letters, more punctuation and especially important - line breaks
  9. No Profile Picture

yea maybe i need to reorder my questions better seeing that some people find it hard to understand what am asking. Thanks for the replies though
  11. Sarcky

hi, i think you misunderstood me, when i asked what is the difference between all i meant not specifically between each and everyone just a general thing
    Programming languages are different. Some only work on Windows, some require compiling beforehand, some work inside browsers, some work inside virtual machines, some require interpreters, some are part of operating systems, some have been integrated into other programs like text editors and games, some can be flashed directly to programmable ROM chips, some are imperative, some are functional...you've asked "give me a master's-level understanding of programming in general." We cannot answer a question this broad on a forum. There are thousands of reasons to use one programming language over another, each has its own place and reason for existence.

am looking to programme for games, simple ones
    Simple in what way? Browser games? Flash. Phone games? Java and Objective-C. Bad PC games? C++. Console games? C. See why it's difficult? Even when you say "simple games" you could mean 6 different things by that phrase.

unity is using scripting and i see scripting has its own languages so i am thinking scripting looks like its own genre while there are others but i am unclear are what are the categories
    "Scripting" usually refers to short programs which are not compiled, but rather executed top-to-bottom as small "scripts," like in a play. However, there is no official definition of "scripting" and that word could define both PHP and javaScript (the two languages which power FACEBOOK). "Scripting" can also refer to the small 2-3 line scripts which you may see in Unity or Emacs to automate easy tasks.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  13. No Profile Picture

thanks ManiacDan, with every answer i get closer to my answer but yea i realize it was a hard way to ask the question, not a good way but i really had no clue its such a wide and vast field, i am was really looking at scripting in unity and for mobile games and pc games, mainly java script since i see its recommended as the easiest when dealing with unity for beginners. what do you mean by compiling in your statement? but...... where do you recommend a new guy begins? if i learn one language per say can i handle others easily? is there a place online i can learn for free of payed at my own pace?
  15. Sarcky

Are you referring to the unity3d game engine? If so, they support 3 languages and I recommend C#.

"Compiling" means turning raw source code into an executable program.

where do you recommend a new guy begins? if i learn one language per say can i handle others easily? is there a place online i can learn for free of payed at my own pace?
    Depends on where the new guy wants to end up. C# and Unity would be good.

Once you learn one language others will be easier, but not "easy." Especially if they change paradigms.

You can try khanacademy, though I don't think they have many coding resources. A book would help.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  17. No Profile Picture

yeah, unity game engine, so there are no video oriented resources out there? even if i have to buy i would have no problem
  19. Sarcky

Khan is video courses I believe, but videos are often the most difficult way to learn programming, since it's a very precise syntax.

21. No Profile Picture

If you are new to programming and want to discover more about the Unity gaming engine, you need to get your basics right. Start learning a language such as C#. You can find free video tutorials on both C# and Gaming Engines at Microsoft Virtual Academy . If you want to jump straight into Unity, check out Module 5 of this course.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo