1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What version of C#, if any, should I focus on?

I am not a programmer, I am a network engineer by trade. However, over 20 years ago, I learned how to program in COBOL and assembly language. I dabbled in C, and looked at C++ a little after it first came out. I also took a VisualBasic course in college years ago. I've done some bash shell scripting, and I script macros for a game system I use (not sure what language it's based on, I think it may be Java.)

I've never looked at the programming side of things for a career, however, I did enjoy it when I did it, and was pretty good at it, too. So, I'm thinking of learning a new language, and was directed to C# by some friends and peers.

My first question is, which would be the better version to learn? I've been pointed to both 4.0 and 5.0, and given reasons why both would be fine (4.0 as most companies aren't running Windows 8, 5.0 because Windows 8 is the new thing, etc.) I know that 5.0 isn't necessarily "Windows 8 based" but those are some of the reasons I've been given as to choosing one version over another.

The other question is, should I even be looking at C#, or should I go back to something like C++, and learn that? As my wife says, I've always been a "nuts and bolts" kinda guy, getting deep into how things work. When learning COBOL, I would occasionally redo my projects in assembly, as it was a lot of fun working that low-level.

Not sure if I plan on looking at this as a career, but there is a strong possibility that it may happen, so I want to make sure I do something that not only will I enjoy (I can see myself enjoying both C++ and C#) but also doing something that would be a viable career choice.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Seems you are completely new to C# programming so I would suggest opting for online tutorials from the Microsoft Virtual Academy. You’ll find, free tutorials from the leading experts in the industry. It's a great place to start, especially if you are looking to learn through video tutorial. They also conduct a live event for various programming languages. But you'll have to check with them for schedule if they have one on C# .

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo