1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Database population approach.

Hello to everyone, we have not a problem but a concern, or we are missing the essentials.. or a comprehensive approach to do this.

First i want to introduce myself as a non programmer but i´m leading the project. I have much understand of many topics but not the necessary practice to come over this or even trying to code it myself.. but i have to tell the “upcoming” team, how to do it or how to start it myself.

We are about to make a project within wordpress and we need to manipulate soccer players data. We have the latest info of the teams, matchs, everything, from api calls and the result data in json format, or xml, or similar from the data provider. Here come the first concern.. we have to take this calls and make a database with it or have to make the database as we like and then trow the detailed data into it? yes i know, a basic question.

Our goal is to take this data often as much as the changes happens but more important we need to add some info to that data to accomplish our objetives, like comments from users to any match or any player.

I´m thinking of creating the first tables with the first calls (if you not indicate something better!), then add all the "special data" elements to its tables as we need (comments to players, matches, etc) to operate our site and then make the changes in our database from the provider as soon as the change happens (ie a player goal or a change in fixture or any other). *

Is not the business the site to maintain by hand those changes but keep up to date with real data.

We take the “standard data” from the provider to know how is the rank list in any league, the scorers list, the points they have accumulated along the tournaments and many many more “standard data” to inform our users, but we encourage the users to make comments in any match, or comments to players, or comments into upcoming events.. i call this data “special data” and this is yes our business.

This is the best way to do something like this?

Nothing is written yet so we can keep analyzing different methods and techniques.
    Any link, right procedures, or even a slight light on the approach that you can throw at us would be very much appreciated..

Thanks in advance and if you have questions i´m here to respond.

Greetings* **
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hello there FerH, Im not good at programming PHP/MySQL ( I just do edits and modifications on other's work ).

For short, you and your team wants to make a site like nba.com, or bbc's sport page ? But the difference is that your game is soccer.

On my own opinion, first, you dont need to worry about database ( if you're gonna use Wordpress ) coz it will automatically insert all data what you've entered. All you need to do is to gain visitors so they will comment on your site's updates. Second, your site must be attractive to other, informative. Design of your site would attract other's to visit the site.

5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your response MonP!

I know we have to make it nice! But not much like so in this stage. We want to keep focus on the business and when its working like we want then put all efforts into the great design! Are you with me so far?

You say that i don't need to make a database? I'm thinking to make one with tables for players, teams and so forth to keep my data on site and not make several calls to the api when i have to show the info... Or where i have to store it? Or keep calling the api in every page load?

I'm loosing something i guess.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by MonP
    Hello there FerH, Im not good at programming PHP/MySQL ( I just do edits and modifications on other's work ).

For short, you and your team wants to make a site like nba.com, or bbc's sport page ? But the difference is that your game is soccer.

On my own opinion, first, you dont need to worry about database ( if you're gonna use Wordpress ) coz it will automatically insert all data what you've entered. All you need to do is to gain visitors so they will comment on your site's updates. Second, your site must be attractive to other, informative. Design of your site would attract other's to visit the site.

7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by FerH

You say that i don't need to make a database? I'm thinking to make one with tables for players, teams and so forth to keep my data on site and not make several calls to the api when i have to show the info... Or where i have to store it? Or keep calling the api in every page load?
    Sorry Late Reply,

I suggest not to use api of others, if you're talking about business everything ( not everything i guess lol ) must have some originality. Its better for your team to focus on manually update. For database, wordpress can automatically store the thing for you, you dont need to worry about them when you use wordpress. All you need is to focus on catching up the latest gossips or leaks on the current game or players.
  9. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

If you're using WordPress the best way to do this is to set up Custom Post Types for 'team' and 'player' (and anything else that you need) and you can use the WordPress-native functions to add, update and remove pretty much any data that you want for these records. You will still need a database, but you'll be using the WordPress database, not something that you create yourself.

The only downside to this is that searching may be slow, but if you find that, find a good DBA that can set up indexes and optimise your queries to get better results.

Comments on this post

• crbenesch agrees

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo