1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is programming a device driver for a Midi Keyboard too difficult for first program?

Hi guys, i'm brand new to programming, literally just started learning Ruby yesterday. Aim to learn lots of languages and Ruby seemed like a good place to start.

It crossed my mind just now that I have a Creative Prodikeys Midi keyboard that doesn't work on Windows 8 64-bit.

There are apparently no drivers out there to get it to work because Creative stopped supporting it. Was thinking that maybe this would be a good opportunity to make my first real program - a device driver that gets the keyboard to work on Windows 8? It's something that I'd like to do personally so that I don't have to buy another Midi keyboard. I even went to the extent of trying to emulate a different operating system to try to get it to work, but had no success there.

Just wondering, how difficult do you think it will be to program a device driver for the keyboard (or if it's even possible)?

Here is the product listed on Creative site: Object moved

Posts about a 64-bit driver apparently created by a company called proaudiosoft (but I couldn't find the driver): Object moved

So, for a complete beginner, is this a realistic project to work on or is this very advanced stuff? I have the old Windows Vista driver on CD but it doesn't work on my Win 8 machine.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

driver programming is cumbersome cause the lack of documentation on the subject matter in general and the insistent secrecy in the software
    and hardware industry general which will make your job very hard.

I don't recommend you tackling this project as a beginner for those reasons. If it takes you 6 month to reverse engineer the protocol window 7 uses to communicated
    with the already non-disclosed midi protocol, you would have used that time to buy a new keyboard.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo