1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which language to choose ?

Hello world,

First of all, i'm a newbie on coding & programming and only need some advice to get started in this coding journey.

As i work in the construction industry, my goal is to make a very simple program for building or creating Upvc, wood or aluminium doors and windows. It doesn't matter even if it took me years to learn to do it. Anyhelp where i should start looking ?

Thnx for the help.
  3. Lazy Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm not sure what you mean for this program. Something like AutoCAD? To design stuff? Or what?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    I'm not sure what you mean for this program. Something like AutoCAD? To design stuff? Or what?
    Hi., No man., autocad is way to complicated and i'm not looking for a drawing program, it's more like a joinery software or a program for assembling doors and windows in 2d.

For example, let's say i have an aluminium single door to make. To make a door there are different aluminium profiles and accessories that you will need, i already have all the parts drawn, i just need a program to select the parts that i will need and the program will do some calculation base on my selection and the program will give me the outcome, like the cost, the list of materials, the cutting list etc....

I don't know if we are allowed to post external links but here's something that i want to do.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlW5RbgtSes

Thanks.
  7. Lazy Moderator

So no drawing. You enter in some information and pick stuff from a list, and the program does some calculations and spits out some other lists of stuff? Type type type, press "Calculate", see results?

Desktop, tablet ("app"), and web-based software can all do that. Mostly the issue would be about when you need to update parts of it - like the list of parts you choose from, how often that changes.

Web is probably the easiest to get going. It doesn't necessarily have to be on the internet, but it does require some backing software (web server at a minimum) to install and run. On the desktop, Windows applications are probably next easiest to create, and Visual Studio has a free license that's probably sufficient for you. I'm not familiar with Mac and Linux applications. Then there's also tablet/mobile apps, which isn't so bad if you want to target one particular OS (ie, iOS or Android).

So then the question is what sort of device you want this to run on and what sorts of requirements come with that. Are you fine doing this at a computer? Tablet? Smartphone I'd probably not recommend due to the complexity but I don't know.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    So no drawing. You enter in some information and pick stuff from a list, and the program does some calculations and spits out some other lists of stuff? Type type type, press "Calculate", see results?

Desktop, tablet ("app"), and web-based software can all do that. Mostly the issue would be about when you need to update parts of it - like the list of parts you choose from, how often that changes.

Web is probably the easiest to get going. It doesn't necessarily have to be on the internet, but it does require some backing software (web server at a minimum) to install and run. On the desktop, Windows applications are probably next easiest to create, and Visual Studio has a free license that's probably sufficient for you. I'm not familiar with Mac and Linux applications. Then there's also tablet/mobile apps, which isn't so bad if you want to target one particular OS (ie, iOS or Android).

So then the question is what sort of device you want this to run on and what sorts of requirements come with that. Are you fine doing this at a computer? Tablet? Smartphone I'd probably not recommend due to the complexity but I don't know.
    Thnx for the reply, really appreciate it.

So, Yes, basically it is "type, type, type, press, calculate, see results" and No, it does not involved drawing as it will be to difficult at my level to do that but presentation on screen of the drawing yes. What i mean is, if suppose i have to do a square and show it on screen, i don't have to draw the square, i already have a square drawn and available in my list and i just need to select it and it appears on the screen. But i need the program to let me play with the dimension of the square so that i can make any size of square. Hope you understand what i mean.

Web is interesting, but I would prefer to run it on a computer. So what is your advice to me ?, do you think i can make this possible with visual studio ? any link or idea you can share with me for some similar project ?

Thanks.
  11. Lazy Moderator

The web one would still run on a computer. At a minimum you have a web server running (just on that computer), and you'd use a browser to access the "site" (also on the computer). Really "web" just means that you need a browser to use it.

Normally at this point I would say that you should try both approaches: spend some time trying the web thing, some time trying the desktop thing, and see what works best for you. But if you don't have much programming experience then it might not be easy for you to tell, so...

Yeah, I think go for the desktop one. There's a lot of point-and-click for designing the interface, and you can use Visual Basic for the code - a capable language designed to be easy to learn and use. Whittle your application down to a very minimal purpose and try making the program do it.
  13. No Profile Picture

At first i was going for python but there are so many languages out there that i was confuse and didn't know which one to choose for my project. So now at least i know where to start. Visual basic it is then. Thnx, will start working on it and if i got stuck somewhere, will ask for help. thnx..
  15. No Profile Picture

For drawing perhaps you can start learning some Javascript llibraries to build an online application
    Javascript is easy to learn, but yet powerful after especially the new improvements with HTML5
    There are many Javascript libraries providing programming ease and functionality like physics, 3d, etc
  17. No Profile Picture
    Banned

I think you should start with the JAVA Training. This time it is the best valuable training during the learning time. choose the best option....

All the best
  19. No Profile Picture

I would suggest Python, for a quick start. You never mention what type of computer you're on, so I'm assuming Windows,
    in which case you'd need to download a Python environment to work with. If you're an Apple user, then as an alternative
    to Python, I'd suggest Swift. It's a straight forward language which can be used for both command line programming (like
    your enter, enter, enter, calculate, display results style) and once you have some experience, you can add in the "graphic"
    (as in windows-style entry screens and such) portion to make the application more polished. Sorry I can't comment on a
    Windows equivalent; I'm not a Windows user.
  21. No Profile Picture

Architects, engineers and construction professionals rely on the innovative design tools in AutoCAD software to create precise 2D and 3D drawings I think it will helps you

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo