1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

4.3 to 4.4 cvs and kern probs

I tried installing FreeBSD 4.4 on my i386 platform. After the kernel configuration it would always hang when probing my hardware on this line,
    plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0,
    forcing me to hardboot and try another approach with kernel configuration.
    After sometime, someone suggested, trying 4.3, and cvsup, rebuild kernel, and build world.
    So, that is where I am now. I've downloaded and cvsup my box from 4.3 to 4.4. But, when I try to boot with 4.4 installed it hangs at the same line plip0:....
    So, I reinstall 4.3 and download the sources from cvs. I was going to edit my kernel and try taking out the plip0 and all the other unnecessary stuff, but, I'm getting the error:
    ERROR: version of config(8) does not match kernel!
    config version = 400018, version required = 400019

This is what I have done so far:
    cvsup /etc/supfile
    edit /etc/make.conf
    make buildworld
    make kernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
    cp GENERIC customkernel
    edited mykernel
    /usr/sbin/config mykernel

Should I already have a custom kernel before i cvsup?
    Any ideas or suggestions would be more than appreciated!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You have left out many critical procedures which could be a cause of the problems.

>> I tried installing FreeBSD 4.4 on my i386 platform

1) Which media type? A fresh install?

>> when probing my hardware

2) What NIC do you have?

>> trying 4.3, and cvsup, rebuild kernel, and build world

3) Reinstall from scratch?

>> I've downloaded and cvsup my box from 4.3 to 4.4

4) Show us your supfile. Keep in mind if you are tracking -STABLE branch you won't get 4.4-STABLE during this period. It would be 4.5-RC3.

>> when I try to boot with 4.4 installed it hangs at the same line plip0

5) You should recompile a kernel before cvsup. Then recompile it again after cvsup. And recompile it after buildworld. Three times in total.

>> version of config(8) does not match kernel

6) config, being a critical utility, when it has been upgraded, you need to build+install before configuring your kernel.

>> Should I already have a custom kernel before i cvsup?

7) Like I said, you need to recompile your kernel three big times. The first time, by using the GENERIC and a -RELEASE source as a base and remove all unused devices/options. And if you see whatever errors, you can tell it must be a misconfiguration of your kernel config file rather than the -RELEASE source.

What you should do now is to check your motherboard settings, at least turn PnP OS to NO. Then grab 4.4-RELEASE, boot it up and recompile a kernel immediately (without cvsup).
    If you can't get a custom kernel to work with a 4.4-RELEASE source, the chance of getting it to work with 4.5-RC3 is absolutely no chance.
  5. No Profile Picture

1) Which media type? A fresh install?
    Yes. Installing from cd-rom. 4.3 is an iso image from FreeBSD.org, I've got two copies of 4.4 I've bought.

2) What NIC do you have?
    3Com 3c90x

3) Reinstall from scratch?
    Yes, after deleting partitions and formatting.

4) Show us your supfile.
    *default host=cvsup6.FreeBSD.org
    *default base=/usr
    *default prefix=/usr
    *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
    *default delete usr-rel-suffix
    *default compress
    src-all
    ports-all tag=.

5) You should recompile a kernel before cvsup.
    Compile a kernel from the sources I've downloaded via cvs?
    Is this right?
    Download the sources cvs, compile the new kernel, make build world, new kernel, make install world, new kernel?

6)....at least turn PnP OS to NO.
    My BIOS doesn't have this option, closest thing to it is Legacy USB support, which has been turned off.

thks freebsd
    Last edited by dolemite; January 25th, 2002 at 10:46 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

dolemite
    would you mind posting here how it goes if your
    attempting to build, just cause I had tried building
    and spent many hours trying and when you build for
    5 hours and get an error with no clue what happened I just gave up and was gonna retry with
    4.5 release which I seen was targeted for 26 jan
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

2) That appears to be a PCI card and xl device. When you don't have any ISA device, during initial installation and at the kernel config, you really can disable all SCSI and ISA device. If you are using PS2 mouse and not using your COM ports at all, disable them at CMOS setup.

4) Remove the last line ports-all tag=.. Do not combine src-supfile and ports-supfile into a single supfile. Further, ports-supfile is targeted for 4.X-STABLE or 5.0-CURRENT. While running 4.4-RELEASE, you MUST NOT cvsup your ports collection. To determine your current version+branch, run uname -r.

5) >> Compile a kernel from the sources I've downloaded via cvs?

No. You need to run /stand/sysinstall and select Post-Install, then install all src. You need to compile a custom kernel with the source of 4.4-RELEASE, from your CD. Like I said in my previous post, compile a custom kernel prior to cvsup. You need to compile 3 times.

As far as 4.5-RELEASE/4.5-STABLE, that should be available in 5 days. In the meantime, you should just recompile a custom kernel and play around with other essential tasks. If you are new to FreeBSD,you are urged to do that. For me, having used FreeBSD for 4+ years, I wouldn't cvsup my src during code-freeze period. It's just not the right timing at this moment.
  11. No Profile Picture

1)That appears to be a PCI card and xl device.
    Yuh, it is a pci on xl0.
    Can I disable my COM ports, if I'm using an USB mouse?
    2)You need to run /stand/sysinstall and select Post-Install, then install all src.
    Just to clairfy again, Install the src sources from my 4.4 cd onto my 4.3 box?

Thanks for the help.
    I think I understand. So, I'm going to try and see what I can figure out or break.
    If all else fails, I'll wait on my 4.5 cd....
    Last edited by dolemite; January 27th, 2002 at 12:19 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

1) Yes, disable all unused devices.

2) You still can install your 4.3-RELEASE src via FTP. Specifically, you need to install everything here Hint, you need to change your install media type to FTP before selecting Post-Install so it will fetch all src automatically.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo