Thread: Basic *BSD

1. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Basic *BSD

I'm currently planning to start using some sort of unix platform. For someone who comes from Windows background it's not easy. I'm intrested in Linux, but BSD has always been something to wonder about. What would be your recomendation. BSD or Linux?
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

>> What would be your recomendation

Try them both. For BSD, you should try FreeBSD first just to make your life easier.
  5. No Profile Picture

It all depends on what you want to do. If you want a server that's easy to install, maintain, secure and upgrade and stable as a rock then Freebsd is definantly what you want. If on the other hand you want a GUI desktop with all the bells and whistles then Linux would probably be best to start out with. While Freebsd has made good progress in the desktop GUI area, Linux is probably easier to setup and get going with a wider array of drivers and devices supported. BTW, I prefer FBSD, but it is a touch tricky in the GUI area if you have bleeding edge video cards.
  7. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally posted by rsowders
    BTW, I prefer FBSD, but it is a touch tricky in the GUI area if you have bleeding edge video cards.
    I don't have a video card

Thanks for your replies guys. You are very helpful. It's hard to try decide your path. There are so many options, with numerous pitfalls. Thank you again.
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
  9. No Profile Picture

hej!

i just switched from linux to freebsd. linux is great but iīm a little bit fed up by disribution wars and that the config files are in different locations which each disribution!

i baught a good book about installation & konfiguration and read the stuff on freebsd.org and it was no problem for me since i was knowing some unix stuff from linux.

now for me freebsd is much more transparent and has some brilliant tools too. it is much easier to compile a kernel and to install programs from the source (port collection!).

but it takes a lot of time anyway if you just know windows. you have to dig yourself into it, doesnīt matter if itīs linux or freebsd!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo