Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

>> So basically NetBSD is the one to go for if you want to run UNIX on some obscure platform

NetBSD is not just portable, it's the most stable OS on earth. This is the 2nd time, please read this thread now -> Differences in the *BSDs
    It covers something you won't be able to find anywhere on the Internet - my aggressive opionion.

>> IPF will compile on the new OpenBSD

Yes, but there is still some stability and compatibility problems, whereas PF might be secure, but a poor stability record has been shown.

Personally, I don't just want security, I also want stability and configurability.
  3. funky munky
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Sincere apologies freebsd - I read the bulk of your post above but neglected the link...

Ahh, I knew I'd read that somewhere before - yes I had read that post a while ago freebsd - damned excellent info there, many thanks. I was trying to remember where I'd read that before too!

Cheers.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Slacker

Good summation

//Fjodor
  7. No Profile Picture
    Slacker

Sorry for dragging up this old thread, but as it sort of drifted towards IPF vs PF I thought this was the best place to place this link.

Darren Reed, the author of the great IPF has released OpenBSD 3.0 with the default packet filter `pf' removed in favor of his `ipf' tool. This is good news!
    Here's the link to Reeds release.

openBSD 3.0 with IPF pre-built

/Fjodor
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Unfortunately ipf will break when you cvsup your src to track 3.0-stable or 3.0-current.
    If you are that type of person who don't cvsup your src, that would be a great binary release. If you do cvsup your src occasionally, it's suggested that you cvsup first, then perform a clean build on ipf from its src.
  11. No Profile Picture
    OpenBSD dude

Originally posted by munkfish
    Apologies for lateness replying to this thread first off.

Well, this converstation has raised a few items of interest. Firstly phlux says that I might have no need for a packet filter - I would most certainly imagine using a packet filter at some point - security is most certainly an issue in web-hosting no?
    I hate to butt in here. I think you asked is BSD the best option for webhosting. Yes, it is in my opinion and I would recommend any of the 3 popular BSD's. But I really wanted to comment on the firewall issue that was brought up. I would not use the same box for webhosting. So make a choice for each box. I would (do use) personally choose OpenBSD for the wall b/c I like it and it makes me feel good....oh, yeah...just a good a reason as any. I dont use pf b/c I havent upgraded from 2.7. And the webserver, I use OpenBSD's default install b/c its been like 4 years without a remote hole in the default install....that kinda gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling on the inside....like I am doing something right. But that is only my thought on your choice. I'd like you to try one of the BSD's. FreeBSD is very kewl and there is a lot more info out there about FreeBSD than any of the other. For example, you can go down to the "Best Buy" store and pick up a copy with the book. I learned from that book, or a very similar book. FreeBSD is my recommendation for any user coming from or going to Linux. Yeah, you wont go wrong with one of the BSD's.
  13. funky munky
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

>> I would not use the same box for webhosting
    Cheers for your comment dude - I agree totally, freebsd has served me as an excellent inroad into learning more about the 4.3BSD *nix track and as soon as I grab another NIC for this old 486 doorstop(!) I have, I think I'll have a go at installing OBSD on it and configuring it as a router/nat/firewall box with my freebsd machine handling http requests and incoming sshd on the lan.

The more I use FreeBSD the more I find out about it that pleases me.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo