1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Chrooting with SSh?

Is there a way to chroot ssh users to their home directory? Sort of like ftpchroot with ftp?
    I want to make it so that individual users are jailed to their home directory and dont have access to any higher levels.

Any suggestions? Thanx
  3. No Profile Picture
    Slacker

I've never had the need for this feature so I'm not well traveled in this, but the one I know about is to let the users use the rbash shell (restricted shell)... And obviosly you'd need to make it so the users can't invoke another shell (thereby making rbash useless)

From what I hear, it's not hard to get around the restrictions, but I have never tried it so I can't say much more than that I heared that it was.

Do a search for rbash in a search engine and you should have a few sites about this.

There's probably other and better ways to do this though.

/Fjodor
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

First off, ssh is not BSD-specific so your post is OFF TOPIC. The better forum to post this would be UNIX forum.
    Second off, post here when search engine (i.e. google.com) doesn't give you an answer. That said, the first answer the come up after a search would be here -> http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1404

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo