1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CVS repository on a web server

What do I need to do to have a CSV repository hosted on the web server if the hosting company does not by default offer such feature? Is there any script or application that I can install by myself? Thanks.
  3. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Which operating system? CVS is a separate program and not directly related to Apache (unless you explain how/why you believe it's related), so your thread will be moved to the appropriate OS forum upon reply. Please do not get impatient and cross-post.
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Welll, my server runs Apache on FreeBSD OS. Thanks.

Comments on this post

• jharnois agrees : Look at all the points you get for using FreeBSD!
  7. mod_dev_shed

Have you tried a `man cvs` to get you started?
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry that I am a newbie in non-Windows system. Is `man cvs` supposed to be a command line? I logged in to my web server using ssh and then run that command. I got "command not found" message.

Actually my question does not really point to certain OSes. I just want to know in general is it possible to host a CVS or Subversion on web hosting that does not provide that by default. Thanks for your reply jharnois.
  11. mod_dev_shed

Yes you can, but it all depends on how much access you have to the server. SSH is quite a bit of access. Is this a dedicated for virtual dedicated server to which you have root access? If so, you can install and run whatever you want.

Although the lack of the "man" app is a bit strange. "man" is short for "manpages" and is the built-in documentation for linux/unix environment. You can also Google "man cvs" and get the same results because a lot of manpages have been ported to HTML.

Have you found the FreeBSD Handbook at their website yet? It's extremely helpful.
    # Jeremy

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo