Thread: Embedded BSD

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Embedded BSD

Hi,

Do not know if this is the best place to post this, however I was wondering if anyone here knows from were I could buy a chip with BSD embedded in it. I would like to use such chip as the Control Unit of a device I am building, that is the place were I would deploy the actually software application to run on the device (which preferably I would like to be something in Java).

Regards,
    Sim085
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Are you looking for something like this:
    http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/evbarm/
    Just thought I'd mention NetBSD, as it is the one that has been ported to the most architectures and supports a number of embedded systems.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Scorpions4ever
    Are you looking for something like this:
    http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/evbarm/
    Just thought I'd mention NetBSD, as it is the one that has been ported to the most architectures and supports a number of embedded systems.
    Yes I came across NetBSD and indeed it was also ported to a toaster

However NetBSD is the operating system, while I am mostly searching for hardware (mostly the Control Unit only) with BSD already installed on it.

Basically I am new to the concept of embedded devices, and for now just wanted to experiment a little here and there. What I am looking for is a chip that I could use in an embedded device (which I will have to build because I want to make use of custom input and outputs), which would also allow me to deploy some sort of Java Runtime Environment to run some applications on that embedded device.

NetBSD was my first choice however as already stated I failed to see how I could simply buy chips, which I could then use to build my own embedded devices.

I am not sure if anyone on this forum has ever tried this out?

Regards,
    Sim085

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo