1. Haphazardly programming
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Extremely Slow Printing

Hey guys. I've read all the documentation I possibly can, and there's nothing on slow printing. I have a decently fast printer, an HP Deskjet 3745. I recently set it up in /etc/printcap for line printing with the proper driver (Well, Technically I'm using the HP_DeskJet_3740 series, but that doesn't make any difference). Here is the code for my /etc/printcap:

Code:
    lp|HPDeskJet:\
        :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
        :af=/etc/foomatic/HP-DeskJet_3740-hpijs.ppd:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/foomatic-rip:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/HPDeskJet:\
        :sh:
    I've read that parallel ports use /dev/lpa0, the polled device but it doesn't seem to be working. Any advice/tips?
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    First, ulpt is a USB driver, not a parallel port driver. Is your printer a USB printer or not? Also, is there a reason you're using LPD instead of CUPS? You can easily install CUPS from ports, if you need to.

By the way,this page seems to indicate that the 3740 mostly works. I haven't mucked around with your specific model, but I hear that disabling bi-directional mode on certain HP printers seems to work wonders.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. Haphazardly programming

It's USB, Scorpion. Also, all the articles I've read have told me to stay away from CUPS. I'll install it if necessary. I've been trying to work with apsfilter and ghostscript, although. The recommended ghostscript driver for my model is supposedly hpijs, but I keep reinstalling ghostscript AND /usr/ports/print/hpijs but it seems to not appear available for apsfilter. I'm confused. I'll try CUPS for now, and I'll see if it works.
  7. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    If it is USB, you should be using the ulpt driver. The lpt driver is for parallel ports. By the way, lpa is an older version of the lpt driver.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  9. Haphazardly programming

I started using CUPS, and it's a lot faster, but not as fast as my printer is on windows. But hey, that's life. Thanks for your help anyways. CUPS isn't as bad as I thought it was.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo